Ralf Rangnick confirmed as Manchester United interim manager
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The appointment of Ralf Rangnick has sparked excitement at Old Trafford after an extremely poor start to the season by Manchester United which sees them slumped in eighth place in the Premier League table. And with the German preferring a pressing style of play, it has been rumoured he would drop Cristiano Ronaldo to accommodate this. But the Portugal star will find a way to stay in the side, according to Rio Ferdinand.
Ronaldo, 36, joined United from Juventus in the summer for a fee of £20million to mark a sensational return to Manchester after 12 years away.
The superstar left United for Real Madrid in 2009 for a then-world record fee of £80m, and went on to win various trophies and individual accolades including four Champions League winner’s medals.
Despite being 36, the Madeira-born talent is still performing at his peak, although he does not offer as much off of the ball as he once used to.
And following Rangnick’s appointment as manager, rumours emerged that Ronaldo would struggle to get into his side due to the pressing game the ex-Leipzig manager requires.
Rio Ferdinand has claimed United boss Ralf Rangnick will play Cristiano Ronaldo (Image: GETTY)
But former United legend Ferdinand has refuted those claims, saying that the German will find a way to fit the five-time Ballon d’Or winner into his team.
“He only stopped coaching at Schalke for a period because he was under stress,” Ferdinand told Vibe with Five.
“All this talk that he can't manage Cristiano Ronaldo, he had a 35-year-old Raul.
“A genuine superstar, world class player, big personality and managed him within that team. He performed. It's a myth.
MORE PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS… Newcastle boss Eddie Howe receives transfer promise from club board Man City’s Guardiola discussed two stars in ‘dinner’ with Barca reps Ralf Rangnick comment made by Ralph Hasenhuttl may worry Man Utd fans
“It's still an ego, it's still a character, it's a personality that you've got to manage properly so he knows how to do it, he's done it.
“All this 'he's not going to play Ronaldo', he played a 35-year-old Raul.
“Ronaldo I don't think is the issue, I think he'll find a way that Ronaldo will be able to fit in his team.”
United were tipped to challenge for the title in the summer given that they signed Ronaldo, Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane.
Michael Carrick has led United out to two undefeated games against tough opposition (Image: GETTY)
And after four wins from their first five games, there was a real sense of belief around Old Trafford.
Yet a return of just five points in the league since the end of September has seen United fall massively down the league table, with the title race instead now between Chelsea, Manchester City and Liverpool.
They face Arsenal on Thursday in a bid to climb the table.
- Man Utd legend Rio Ferdinand reacts to Cristiano Ronaldo being benched for Everton clash
- Man Utd star Jesse Lingard disagrees with Jamie Carragher over Cristiano Ronaldo criticism
- Man Utd board's view on Antonio Conte appointment after Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day
- Man Utd legend Rio Ferdinand agrees with Gary Neville in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer criticism
- Rio Ferdinand responds to Gary Neville’s criticism of Manchester United hero Cristiano Ronaldo after Everton draw
- Man Utd icon Gary Neville delivers verdict on Tottenham transfer swap
- Man Utd icon Sir Alex Ferguson’s furious dig ahead of Villarreal Champions League clash
- Man Utd icon Sir Alex Ferguson ‘would drop Fred for a month’ after Everton draw
- Kalvin Phillips' agent deals blow to Man Utd transfer hopes as 'willingness' claim made
- What Man Utd star Cristiano Ronaldo texted Rio Ferdinand after Villarreal heroics
- Rio Ferdinand explains what he noticed about Man Utd players after Everton draw
- How Cristiano Ronaldo reacted after Bruno Fernandes missed Man Utd penalty in Villa loss
- Cristiano Ronaldo's Champions League punishment after Man Utd star swore at fans
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s driver leaves petrol station after seven hours with no fuel for his £220k Bentley
- Man Utd news LIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo WINS player of the month, Pogba £400k-a-week new contract, Shaw backs Sancho
- Cristiano Ronaldo's reaction to Man Utd goal vs Everton caught on camera
- Man Utd news LIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo rape case recommended for DISMISSAL, Pogba wants £400,000-a-week new contract
- Man Utd news LIVE: Solskjaer will NOT be sacked EXCLUSIVE, Rashford friendly return, Khabib ‘honour’ to meet Ronaldo
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s fury at Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer creates a new problem
- Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes and two other phone calls behind Cristiano Ronaldo transfer
Man Utd icon Rio Ferdinand responds to claims Ralf Rangnick will snub Cristiano Ronaldo have 948 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.