A young man was severely injured Sunday when he fell off a slab that’s part of the German capital's memorial to the 6 million Jews killed in the Nazi Holocaust.
The 21-year-old tourist, whose name was not released in line with German privacy rules, fell several meters (feet) early Sunday and was taken to the hospital with head injuries, the German news agency dpa reported.
Police were still investigating the cause of the accident, dpa reported. Local Berlin media said the young man was an Italian tourist who had underestimated the height when jumping off the slab, which was in an unlit part of the memorial.
The memorial, a field of 2,700 gray concrete slabs near the Brandenburg Gate that opened in 2005, is open around the clock. Visitors are supposed to refrain from activities such as running and jumping from one slab to another.
Earlier this month, Berlin’s police chief apologized for an incident in which officers were pictured practicing push-ups on part of the memorial.
- Man injured after gunfire in northwest Houston
- Auschwitz: Evolution of a death camp and Holocaust memorial
- PMs back building Holocaust memorial next to parliament
- Germany marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Heiress downplays factory's forced labor use during Holocaust
- US adults rapidly forgetting the Holocaust
- What to do in Berlin in 3 days: the best things to do in Germany's capital city
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Rabbis, imams in Berlin bike ride against anti-Semitism, Islamophobia
- Estate of Hitler's filmmaker, Leni Riefenstahl, donated to Berlin foundation
- Immigration to Israel: 'One man's joy is another man's suffering'
- ‘We finished every bottle!’ Berlin's cultural legends on the night the Wall came down
- Holocaust a myth, says Iranian president
- German interior minister defends deportation of Berlin terrorist associate
- Friend of Berlin truck attacker in France during Nice attack: reports
- One in 20 UK adults does not believe Holocaust took place - survey
- Get steeped in Berlin’s stunning history of magnificent and terrible events
- Germany opens huge new spy HQ in Berlin
- Berlin court finds teen guilty of assault in attack on kippa-wearer
- How IBM Technology Jump Started the Holocaust
Man injured when falling off Berlin's Holocaust Memorial have 361 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at November 14, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.