FC Barcelona top 5 most expensive signings
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Barcelona 's attempts to sign Manchester City forward Ferran Torres have stepped up a gear, according to reports in Spain. Torres has emerged as a transfer target for Barca in recent days and the Spanish giants have now reportedly reached an agreement with the youngster over a transfer.
Torres is only 18 months into a five-year contract with Man City following his £20.8million move from Valencia in the summer of 2020.
The 21-year-old has shown promising signs of development under Pep Guardiola, contributing 16 goals and four assists in 43 appearances so far.
He emerged as a useful option at centre-forward following Sergio Aguero's departure to Barcelona and the failure to sign Harry Kane in the summer before picking up an injury.
But it seems Torres is unhappy at City and is already eyeing a return to his home country with Barcelona.
Torres joined Man City from Valencia in the summer of 2020 (Image: GETTY)
Barcelona sent a group of executives to the Ballon d'Or ceremony in Paris on Monday where they met Torres' agent Héctor Peris to discuss a possible move.
Barca are desperately trying to bolster Xavi's squad while also working within the financial parameters presented by their dire situation.
Barca are working to improve Xavi’s squad (Image: GETTY)
Torres is said to be 'seduced' by the idea of playing a more prominent role at Barcelona and the club will now try to convince Man City chief executive Ferran Soriano to sell.
Guardiola is a fan of Torres, but his long-standing relationship with Barca means he won't stand in the way of a move, if it comes to fruition.
Barcelona have made their pitch, Torres wants to leave and Man City might be open to selling, but agreeing a transfer fee could still present a major problem. Nevertheless, it seems the wheels are in motion.
"Ferran is a great player and we are working with discretion," Barcelona vice-president Rafael Yuste told AS on Monday.
“We have friends at Manchester City and there is a good relationship. [Chief executive] Ferran Reverter has paid a courtesy call.
"I understand the questions but, out of respect for the players and the clubs, we cannot give expectations that could end up being positive or negative."
Xavi has started his stint as manager with two wins in La Liga and a draw in the Champions League and he refused to discuss the club's interest in Torres on the weekend.
"It's not the right time to talk about signings," he said after Barca's 3-1 win over Villarreal on Saturday. "Not right after the game, which will give us a great boost of morale."
- Man City interested in Leicester star and more transfer rumours
- Man City: Phil Foden needs Premier League minutes
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Bale wants out, and Man United could be ready to pounce
- Transfer Talk: Man City, Man United could start bidding war for Ruben Dias
- Frenkie de Jong explains why he chose Barcelona over Man City
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United vow not to panic buy in January
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Juventus to swoop amid Cavani's PSG contract impasse
- The Man City player who is now key in easing defensive concerns
- Victor Lindelof's agent makes Man Utd Barcelona transfer claim
- Transfer Talk: Barcelona choosing between Rashford and Firmino?
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona choosing between Rashford and Firmino
- Transfer Talk: Juve to take advantage of Cavani contract impasse
- Transfer Talk: Juve to take advantage of Cavani's PSG contract impasse
- Transfer Talk: Flailing Manchester United vow not to binge buy in January
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Manchester United vow not to panic buy in January
- Pep Guardiola names his likely Man City successor
- How Man City's 32 loanees are faring so far this season
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Liverpool join Man United, Tottenham in Haaland chase
- Man City have unusual transfer buy-back clause for Manu Garcia
- FUT 20 OTW promo: Manchester United and Man City stars included
Man City ace Ferran Torres has 'agreement to sign for Barcelona' after transfer talks have 882 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.