The world's biggest K-pop award show just upped its global appeal with not only its first batch of performers but its plans to expand around the world's top music market.
At a press conference in Seoul on November 16, CJ ENM announced major news across the board when the Korean-entertainment company shared first details about its 2021 performer lineup and plans for its flagship award show MAMA, also known as the Mnet Asian Music Awards.
Just days after topping charts around the world with his latest album = , Ed Sheeran will perform at MAMA when it takes place next month. The English singer-songwriter has co-written two Billboard Hot 100 hits with BTS: "Make It Right," released in 2020 and became a radio hit for the group, and "Permission to Dance" which hit No. 1 on the charts in July. No details were given on if Sheeran will perform virtually if he'll travel to Asia for the performance like past MAMA performers that have included Stevie Wonder, Janet Jackson, Dua Lipa, and the Black Eyed Peas.
Meanwhile, sensational boy band Wanna One, who earned five Number One albums together during their limited, 16-month contract together, was announced to be reuniting at the award show with 10 of the 11 superstars that made up the group coming back together for a special performance at the show.
MAMA also announced its intentions to step foot on U.S. soil and hold the K-pop award show in America in the future, following its past dates that have been held across major cities in Asia. The task certainly won't be impossible for a company like CJ ENM who has successfully held its K-pop festival, known as KCON, across multiple countries and cities including Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Abu Dhabi, Mexico City, Bangkok, Sydney and beyond.
"As K-pop continues to grow in influence globally, we plan on expanding our presence to regions bordering Asia and beyond," said Kim Hyun-soo, Head of Entertainment at CJ ENM, at the press conference. "In a few years, we plan to host MAMA in the U.S., the world's biggest music market. This is an important year for MAMA to really solidify its presence as a global K-pop music awards ceremony. We plan to include global indicators and judging criteria to reflect K-pop's global status, which will further heighten MAMA as one of the top-tier global awards shows."
- Ed Sheeran ‘marries childhood sweetheart Cherry Seaborn in secret ceremony’
- Ed Sheeran up for BMI London song of the year award for third time in a row
- Speculation over future of The Swan in Ipswich – the music venue where Ed Sheeran once played
- Ed Sheeran serenades Bruno Mars for his birthday
- Last orders for The Swan – closure confirmed of Ipswich pub where Ed Sheeran played
- Ed Sheeran's pal DJ Locksmith speaks out on 'secret wedding' to Cherry Seaborn
- How Ed Sheeran helped the WRU posts it highest ever revenues
- “He would choose our wedding weekend for this!” – Ed Sheeran fans react to Ipswich tour dates
- He's playing awfully coy. Did Ed Sheeran secretly marry fiancee Cherry Seaborn?
- Ed Sheeran up for song of the year for third year in a row
- Ed Sheeran announces homecoming shows
- MTV VMAs 2018 – who won what at the Video Music Awards? Full list, nominations, presenters and where it was held
- Gemma Collins will be guest host at Radio 1 Teen Awards a year after she fell through a trapdoor
- Taylor Swift opens the American Music Awards 2018 as Cardi B wins the first gong
- Nathan Carter: 'I laughed when I was first asked to write my autobiography. I'm 28 ... what was I going to fill it with, pictures?'
- Teen Choice Awards 2018: Meghan Trainor and Daryl Sabara pack on PDA
- Riverdale dominates Teen Choice Awards 2018
- Winners of 2018 Hull and East Yorkshire Digital Awards revealed
- First Minister presents bravery awards
- British films may struggle to receive future Oscar nominations because of plans to move the awards ceremony forward by two week
MAMA Awards Going Global: Ed Sheeran, Wanna One & Plans For Future U.S. Ceremony have 716 words, post on www.forbes.com at November 16, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.