Counter-terrorism police have closed off roads in Liverpool this afternoon after “materials” were found at a home as they investigate Sunday’s Remembrance Day attack.
A bomb disposal vehicle was at the scene on Sutcliffe Street as officers continue to piece together what happened prior to the explosion, which claimed the life of a 32-year-old bomber and injured a hero taxi driver.
Shortly after the bomb disposal team arrived, the cordon was extended even further as teams work at the address.
People are not being allowed back into their homes, and those inside the cordon are being told to remain indoors.
The area was previously sealed off by police after counter-terror police arrested four suspects there in connection with the Liverpool Women’s Hospital terror attack.
All were subsequently released without charge.
A police statement to the Liverpool Echo said: “This is a routine extension of the cordon to allow officers to make an assessment of materials found in a property on Boaler Street.
“It is related to the terror incident.”
Officers this afternoon sealed off the entirety of nearby Boaler Street, at the junction of Sutcliffe Street, in Kensington.
Greater Manchester Police posted on Twitter: “Officers in Merseyside have extended a cordon on Sutcliffe Street in the Kensington area to allow officers to make an assessment of materials found in a property that we’ve been searching.
“This is only as a precaution and we will provide updates when we have them.”
Four men aged 20, 21, 26 and 29 were arrested on Sunday and Monday but released earlier this week.
But today just after 1pm forensic investigators were seen rushing around in and out of the property before uniform officers hurriedly extended the police tape to cordon off Sutcliffe Street and part of Boaler Street.
Residents inside the cordon were told to stay inside and not let anyone in while two businesses including a pub and tile warehouse were told to shut completely and evacuate.
Those inside say they were asked to leave their drinks where they were at around 1pm and told to evacuate the area.
Keith Ford, 47 and his partner Joan, 57, live in Sutcliffe Street where four men have been arrested and released as part of the investigations into the Liverpool Women's Hospital bomb.
Keith said: "They've only lived here a few months.
"We heard that the police had found bomb residue at the place on Rutland Avenue.
"So maybe that's why the forensic officers have been back here again today.
"They've been searching the property since this morning."The couple who live two doors down from the property linked to Enzo Almeni said that they had only seen the men that lived there a handful of times.
"I asked them how long they were going to be because my partner was going to be back soon and needed to park there.
"They were polite enough to me."The whole time they lived there they were as quiet as a mouse, we've never heard a peep until now."
The cordon has caused fresh concerns amid the residents who have been asking what police have found now.
Distressed parents hurriedly picked up their children early from local schools and headteachers consulted with officers by the police tape as to where they should direct students who live inside or near the cordon after they finished school for the day.
Joan added: "It's horrendous.
"I can't grasp how lucky we might have been because if they have found something now like another bomb, who is to say that couldn't have gone off while we were home."
Taxi driver David Perry had a miracle escape after a home-made device strapped to his passenger Emad Jamil Al Swealmeen – who changed his name to Enzo Almeni – exploded in the back of his cab.
Police investigating the components of the device now believe relevant purchases were made since at least April this year.
This comes as new aerial images of the aftermath of the horror explosion are released, which show the burnt out car.
Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, Head of Counter Terrorism Policing North West, has said in an update: “The taxi in which the device exploded has now been removed and today line searches by specialist officers will take place at the Hospital which could go into tomorrow.
“The post mortem on the deceased has taken place and the cause of death has been described as injuries sustained from the fire and explosion.
“A complex picture is emerging over the purchases of the component parts of the device, we know that Al Swealmeen rented the property from April this year and we believe relevant purchases have been made at least since that time.
“We have now traced a next of kin for Al Swealmeen who has informed us that he was born in Iraq.
“Our enquiries have found that Al Swealmeen has had episodes of mental illness, this will form part of the investigation and will take some time to fully understand.
“There is much comment in the media about Al Swealmeen and it is clear that he was known to many people. We continue to appeal for people who knew him, especially those who associated with him this year as we try and piece together the events leading up to this incident and the reasons for it.
“At this time we are not finding any link to others in the Merseyside area of concern but this remains a fast moving investigation and as more becomes known we cannot rule out action against others.”
Video of the blast suggests the detonator exploded but the main device failed to trigger.
Although the vehicle was totally destroyed, other vehicles nearby were undamaged.
Questions are continuing to be asked about the nature of the device.
The UK terror threat level was raised from "substantial" to "severe" on Monday, meaning an attack is considered highly likely, because the explosion in Liverpool was the second incident in a month, following the death of Conservative MP Sir David Amess.
- Liverpool terror attacker used ‘many aliases’ to buy materials for bomb
- Tougher controls on dangerous chemicals in wake of Liverpool terror attack
- Police charge man, 50 with attempting to murder a 19-year-old in a terror attack at a Tesco car park
- Kulgam terror attack: Chargesheet filed before NIA court | India News - Times of India
- Security Alert Issued for Forces Ahead of Republic Day, Election Season as Inputs Warn of Terror Attack
- Boy, 15, arrested over fears he was experimenting for 'right wing terror attacks'
- Liverpool hotel attack: Men jailed for sexually assaulting woman
- Islamists attack police and media in Jakarta protest
- Liverpool hospital explosion: Second 'device' detonated after terror attack
- 'Neo-Nazi' teen 'listed terror attack targets'
- Friday’s homegrown terror attacks in Bangkok – what we know
- R-Day: Delhi under thick security blanket after terror attack alert
- Police in Birmingham arrest boy aged 14 in connection with the murder of 15-year-old
- Major emergency service response as police seal off UK city after boy,16, 'seriously hurt'
- A Man Who Attacked Police With A Fire Extinguisher On Jan. 6 Will Spend Five Years In Prison
- South Wales Police make two arrests after 16-year-old girl stabbed to death
- 47 killed in Karachi terror attack, pamphlet claims IS role
- Republic Day: Security beefed-up in Delhi-NCR amid terror attack intel
- Will terror attack mar Iran-Pakistan ties?
- BREAKING: British Police Make Multiple Arrests In Connection With Texas Synagogue Hostage Situation | The Daily Wire
Liverpool terror attack: Police seal off area where 4 were arrested after 'materials found' have 1346 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at November 17, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.