Tyson Fury says he would rather fight middleweight champion Savannah Marshall in a 'cross-gender' boxing match than consider some of the heavyweight names currently on the table for his next fight.
WBC champion Fury was expected to defend his title against Dillian Whyte early next year but an ongoing legal arbitration between the governing body and the Londoner has put those plans on hold.
Joe Joyce is ready to up and fight 'The Gypsy King', having moved into the no2 spot in the WBC's rankings.
But Fury has shown little interest in that showdown, insisting the only fights that interest him are a unification bout with WBO, IBF and WBA champion Oleksandr Usyk, or a Battle of Britain with Anthony Joshua.
And with tongue-firmly-in-cheek, Fury insisted a meeting with the 'unbelievable' undefeated WBO champion Marshall is also a more appealing option.
'I'm not really interested in fighting Joe Joyce,' Fury told IFL TV .
'I'm probably looking at someone like Savannah Marshall to fight in a cross-gender heavyweight championship match-up.
'That is more interesting to me. I really do rate Savannah as a fighter, I think she's an unbelievable fighter and I'd be really interested in making the fight to be honest.
'She's a big girl and a super-middleweight I think, so I'd come down to like 17st from 20 and she could come up from like 12st or something and do a cross-gender fight… I'm being serious.'
Asked if the red-tape around a proposed meeting with Whyte had frustrated him, Fury added: 'I'm not bothered, I'm enjoying myself on a daily basis.
'But I'll be looking forward to that fight with Savannah if Usyk and Joshua don't happen.
'I've always said that I'm only interested in two fights – Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk.
'Apart from that I'm not interested.
'But I would be open to fighting Savannah Marshall – the challenge is out there, Savannah. Take it up.'
Marshall, who is trained by Fury's uncle Peter, is in action again later this month with a huge bout against American star Claressa Shields expected to follow next.
For more stories like this, check our sport page .
- Seven potential opponents for heavyweight sensation Daniel Dubois as promoter Frank Warren reveals he’s struggling to find people to fight him
- How LGBT People — And Their Parents — Are Fighting For Queer Rights In The South
- 2019 in review: A roller-coaster ride for women's rights and gender equality around the world
- At CES 2020, surveillance tech will find a prime spot to make its pitch
- Dubois beats Tetteh in devastating first round KO to win Commonwealth title
- Daniel Dubois has Brit heavyweight rivals running scared after demolishing Ebenezer Tetteh for FOURTH victory of 2019
- The Flare Path And The Sea Lion Tamer
- Alternative Mercury Prize
- John Smith obituary
- Better than Bolt? The fastest men on ice
- The Flare Path Dragons' Den
- Fortnite patch notes (V9.01) - Fortnite update V9.01 with analysis
- Introducing Fallon Sherrock: Darts' new superstar
- Cyberpunk 2077 release date, price, trailers, gameplay and news
- Death of free speech: As Germaine Greer is branded 'transphobic' by student feminists, a top academic attacks the self-righteous zealots censoring history and literature and crushing debate in our universities
- Elizabeth Warren in hypocrisy row after it's revealed she held $2,700 per head fundraiser at Boston winery – but berated fellow 2020 candidate Pete Buttigieg for his 'wine cave' fundraiser
- Forget about “privacy”: Julia Angwin and Trevor Paglen on our data crisis
- 46 Movies We’re Excited About in 2018
- Where is the EU going on tech and competition policy?
- The Best And Most Shocking Scenes From TV And Movies This Decade
‘I’d be really interested in making the fight!’ Tyson Fury issues challenge to champion Savannah Marshall for ‘cross-gender’ clash have 687 words, post on metro.co.uk at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.