German Ralf Rangnick has been confirmed as Manchester United’s interim manager.
The 63-year-old replaces Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who left the English Premier League club earlier this month.
The Norwegian had been at the helm since being appointed caretaker manager following the sacking of Jose Mourinho in 2018.
Rangnick, whose previous clubs as manager include 1899 Hoffenheim, Schalke 04 and RB Leipzeig, will remain as manager until the end of the season.
He will then be taking on a two-year consultancy role, Manchester United said in a statement.
"The squad is full of talent and has a great balance of youth and experience," Rangnick said. "All my efforts for the next six months will be on helping these players fulfil their potential, both individually and, most importantly, as a team."
Michael Carrick, who oversaw Manchester United’s draw with league leaders Chelsea yesterday, will remain in charge of the first team until Rangnick’s work visa is finalised.
Rangnick takes over a side that has won just one of their last eight matches in the Premier League.
Solskjaer, a club hero who scored the winner for Manchester United in the 1999 Champions League final, was finally let go on Sunday 21 November following a period of intense speculation over his future.
Rangnick left his role as head of sports and development at Russian club Lokomotiv Moscow to take up the role. The club will look to appoint a permanent manager once the season is over.
John Murtough, Manchester United football director, said: "Ralf is one of the most respected coaches and innovators in European football. “He was our number one candidate for interim manager, reflecting the invaluable leadership and technical skills he will bring from almost four decades of experience in management and coaching.”
- Rooney done playing (for now), will serve solely as interim manager
- PL Preview: Brighton v. Manchester United
- Manchester United moves top, but 'no hugs' in future as Premier League grapples with Covid-19 spike
- Ex-Manchester United Striker Wayne Rooney Hangs up Boots to Become Derby County Manager
- Rooney ends playing career to become Derby manager
- Focused on management, Rooney leaves iconic legacy
- PIX: Manchester Utd, Arsenal in FA Cup 4th round
- Liverpool vs Man United: Red Devils one full-back short of reaching the next level
- Chelsea manager candidate Thomas Tuchel is fashion model, former barman, has business degree and refused Bayern Munich
- Chelsea want German-speaking manager like Tuchel to get best out of Havertz and Werner if Lampard is sacked
- 11pm Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Rekik CONFIRMED, Ozil interest, Sabitzer UPDATE, Newcastle win REACTION
- Wayne Rooney is latest Ferguson player from Man Utd to take crack at management after long list of failures
- Breaking: Rooney retires from football, becomes Derby County manager
- Wayne Rooney retires to become permanent Derby manager
- Wayne Rooney calls time on playing career to become Derby manager
- Frank Lampard sacked as Chelsea manager after just 18 months
- Tesco workers ‘petrified’ after ‘amazing’ manager dies and ’50 staff ill or isolating’ after Covid outbreak
- Biden names interim agency heads amid delay in Cabinet confirmations
- Biden Administration Announces Acting Agency Heads — Will Run Government During Senate Confirmation Process
- Mercedes-Benz India Confirms 15 Product Launches In 2021: Continues To Lead Luxury Car Market
German Ralf Rangnick confirmed as Manchester United's interim manager have 525 words, post on www.euronews.com at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.