A desperate search has been launched to save the life of a one-month-old baby girl.
Baby Aria Sutherst, born on October 18, is in urgent need of a new heart after being suspected of suffering from heart failure following signs of being extremely unwell and having to be rushed into intensive care, reports Chronicle Live.
Medics are still unsure as to exactly what is wrong but fear she has just weeks to live after being placed on life support.
Now the search is on to find a suitable donor after suffering several cardiac arrests in her short life.
Aria’s mum, Naomi Farrell, said: “We were lucky she got to the Freeman [Hospital] when she did, as not long after arriving she had another setback and would have died if it wasn't for the staff in ICU who then managed to save her life, not once but twice since she has been in their care.
“She was put on the ECMO machine after having a cardiac arrest minutes after arriving at the Freeman Hospital. It is a life support machine that does all the work for your heart and lungs.
“She can only be on the life support machine for two or three weeks. Unless she gets a heart after that, they will just make her very comfortable.
“Unless she gets a heart in the next two weeks, there is nothing they can do.”
Other options that would usually be possible, such as helping Aria’s heart mechanically, are not viable due to her tiny stature.
Now Naomi and her husband Ben Sutherst are expecting the worse after being warned of the difficulty in getting a donor.
She has courageously decided to speak out in the hope someone will read their story and offer help.
Naomi continued: “A transplant isn’t likely. They haven’t had any hearts. There are not many people who are willing to donate hearts.
“I just want to get the word out. It has worked for some people, but Aria’s time is very limited. They didn’t even know she needed a heart transplant until last week.”
Naomi’s close friend, Alex Stembridge, has set up a GoFundMe page in order to help the family if any other options come up.
To donate, click here.
- Doctors save life of newborn baby without anus
- Not being satisfied by his wife, man throws newborn baby, killing her.
- Doctors save life of smallest newborn baby
- The magic of the heart
- Matters of the heart
- Healing wounded hearts
- The lucky baby
- Vietnamese cancer woman risks life to give birth to baby
- New machines breathe life into prem babies
- Vietnamese doctors separate conjoined twins, babies doing well
- Doctors save Vietnamese minority girl with rare disease left waiting for death
- Helicopter, car deployed to save 1.2kg premature infant
- Baby savaged by wild animal captures Vietnamese hearts - again
- Miracle Aussie baby beats rare condition in world first
- Inflatable baby incubator wins James Dyson Award
- Week-old panda cub dies in US zoo
- Fans await baby news as Wills and Kate celebrate first year
- Wills and Kate celebrate 1 year, fans await baby news
- Man United 2 Southampton 1: Rooney at the double to save dodgy De Gea after blunder
- The broken-hearted
Desperate race to save newborn baby who has just weeks to find heart transplant have 566 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at November 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.