Michael Carrick Refutes Suggestion Ralf Rangnick Picked Man Utd Team At Chelsea
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United technical director Darren Fletcher has been questioned by Liverpool legend Steve Nicol over his role at the club. Fletcher was promoted into his current job at Old Trafford in March after spending time on the coaching staff. The former midfielder works alongside John Murtough, who became the club’s first-ever football director.
Fletcher was in the dugout alongside interim boss Michael Carrick for Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
Carrick left Cristiano Ronaldo out of his starting XI, leading to question marks over whether the incoming Ralf Rangnick had an impact on the team chosen.
Carrick denied that was the case and Rangnick has since been appointed on an interim basis.
But Nicol was not buying it and firstly questioned why Carrick would “start a war” with Ronaldo if it wasn’t his decision.
Man Utd news: Darren Fletcher has been questioned over his role by Steve Nicol (Image: GETTY)
“Do we really think that Rangnick had absolutely nothing to do with this United side at the weekend?” Nicol said on ESPN FC.
“Because there were some strange things going on. It makes no sense.
“Michael Carrick, I’m assuming, is going to be around United for the foreseeable future. If he wanted the job and he was trying to make a statement, then that’s a great statement – ‘I’m big enough to drop Ronaldo’.
“It makes no sense for him to start a war with Ronaldo.”
DON’T MISS Paul Scholes changes his tune and adds new contender to Premier League title prediction [PUNDIT] Man Utd icon Sir Alex Ferguson’s furious X-rated blast at interim boss Michael Carrick [QUOTES] Man Utd boss Ralf Rangnick to face ‘independent panel’ after failing automatic work permit [REPORT]
However, Nicol’s attention then turned to Fletcher. The 37-year-old was seen wearing headphones throughout the match, seemingly speaking on a phone.
Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher joked on Sky Sports’ commentary that Fletcher was speaking to Rangnick.
And Nicol believes there was something fishy going on.
He questioned why Fletcher was giving orders to the United players throughout the match when Carrick was meant to be in charge.
Man Utd news: Darren Fletcher won multiple trophies as a player at United (Image: EXPRESS)
Nicol said: “The other thing I thought was weird, all of a sudden you’ve got Darren Fletcher on the sideline, with an earpiece in, and he’s coming off the bench, he’s walking past Michael Carrick who’s supposed to be in charge right now, not even speaking to him, and starts barking orders to players.
“That’s not normal, that is weird, considering he has never been on the bench before as far as I know, he’s certainly not been on the touchline.
“But he has an earpiece in, he’s ignoring Michael Carrick, and he’s giving orders to players on the field. That’s not right.”
- Manchester United star Ander Herrera reveals rallying call from Ashley Young and Michael Carrick inspired comeback at Man City
- Manchester City and Manchester United at a crossroads: who will go on to dominate?
- Manchester United and Anthony Martial grab replay against West Ham
- The Manchester United academy lad who could step in for injured Luke Shaw
- Manchester United set to introduce first ever director of football after failed transfer window
- Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho sends Manchester United out of Europe
- Manchester United sign Diogo Dalot from Porto
- Solskjær claims ‘recharge’ responsible for Manchester United upsurge
- Solskjaer says Manchester United on improvement track ― Solskjaer
- Solskjaer says Manchester United on improvement track
- Manchester City 1-2 Manchester United: Rashford and Martial land big win for Solskjaer
- Jamie Vardy breaks record as Leicester draw with Manchester United
- Revealed: Manchester City fan 'is arrested' over claims he made monkey sounds and gestures at Manchester United star Fred as he is revealed as 40-year-old Army veteran who served in Northern Ireland
- Manchester United see off Sunderland after Henrikh Mkhitaryan magic
- Marcus Rashford’s double for Manchester United deflates Arsenal
- Manchester United crash out to Middlesbrough on penalties
- Manchester City 1 Manchester United 2: Rashford and Martial secure stunning derby win to dent rival’s title hopes
- Manchester United dent City’s title hopes in Etihad defeat
- Rashford rocket sinks Chelsea to extend Manchester United’s resurgence
- Anthony Martial lights fire for Manchester United to burn past Stoke
Darren Fletcher interrogated over Manchester United role - 'That's not right' have 901 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.