IT is more than 11 years since Cesar Azpilicueta played against Cristiano Ronaldo.
And the Chelsea captain will be keen to avoid a repeat of what happened when they met in LaLiga back in May 2010.
Azpilicueta said: "I played against him when I was at Osasuna and he was at Real Madrid.
"I don't remember the score. Maybe in the Bernabeu we lost!"
Indeed they did. Osasuna took an early lead but Ronaldo equalised after twisting an equally fresh-faced Azpilicueta this way and that, then firing in a low shot.
The score was 2-2 by half-time and remained that way until Ronaldo headed an 89th-minute winner.
More recently, in the group stage of the 2018 World Cup, Azpilicueta was watching from the Spain bench when Ronaldo completed a hat-trick with a late free-kick equaliser for Portugal in a 3-3 draw.
The five-time Ballon d'Or winner has kept up that happy habit of grabbing crucial late goals since rejoining United.
Most read in Football
Azpilicueta added: "He's a player that can be dangerous at any time, so we have to be very careful.
"He has a great ability to find spaces, he can shoot right and left and he's a very good header of the ball.
"We are lucky to be in the best league in the world, playing against very tough opponents. Every day you face different challenges.
"To be part of the era where we have faced Cristiano and Messi is great but you always have to be on your toes because they are very dangerous."
- Signathon hosted a live virtual event for fans with Cesar Azpilicueta. He also signed limited edition merchandise that is available to buy now at www.signathon.live
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s charity work, from donating £1m to Portuguese hospitals to fight coronavirus to funding operations
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Kylian Mbappe are hits but Eden Hazard leads flops – ten biggest signings of last two years rated
- Cristiano Ronaldo shares first photo with family locked down in Italy as he quarantines before return to training
- I shot a terrorist dead in dramatic Iranian embassy siege 40 years ago today – I’ll never feel any sorrow for him
- Footballers’ amazing body transformations from Ronaldo bulking up to muscled Adonis to Hazard shifting excess weight
- Ronaldo returns to Juve after coronavirus lockdown
- Messi a level above Ronaldo: David Beckham
- Granger Smith's Wife Shares Heartbreaking Message 11 Months After Son's Tragic Death
- 11pm Man Utd news LIVE: Ronaldo transfer was ’99 percent complete’, Ighalo may leave Old Trafford, Pogba-Ramsey swap
- 8am Man Utd news LIVE: Jadon Sancho drops transfer hint, Ronaldo return was ’99 percent done’, Ighalo may leave
- 3pm Man Utd news LIVE: Club SIGN Barca wonderkid, Sancho transfer update, Ronaldo return was ’99 percent done’
- 10.45am Arsenal news LIVE: Aubameyang ‘promised grandad he’d play for Real Madrid’, Saka to Liverpool, Partey LATEST
- Alex Ferguson and the first trophy at Man Utd: Recalling the 1990 FA Cup final
- Turkish Soccer Player Admits to Killing His 5-year-old Son: Report
- Thailand tsunami victim remembered by sister 10 years after wedding celebrations turned to tragedy
- Coronavirus in Sport LIVE: UFC 249 fighter Ronaldo Souza tests positive, Premier League NOT given green light yet
- MLB Players Will Need to Conduct Blood Tests Before Playing Every Game, Says Blue Jays Medical Advisor
- On this day in sport: Liverpool's Miracle of Anfield and Seve Ballesteros remembered
- Coronavirus: Barcelona players return to training on Friday as part of four-phase plan
- Have a Good Trip: celebrities share wild psychedelic stories for Netflix
Cesar Azpilicueta recalls nightmare of facing Cristiano Ronaldo 11 years ago when he played for Spanish side Osasuna have 677 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.