Amber Gibson – also known as Amber Niven – from Hamilton, Scotland, had been reported missing on Friday.
Following a search over the weekend, police in Lanarkshire announced that the body of a young woman was discovered in Hamilton's Cadzow Glen Park.
Cadzow Street and the below Glen were swiftly closed off to the public whilst enquires and identification were ongoing, reports The Daily Record .
On Monday police confirmed that it was Amber’s body. Enquiries are still ongoing and the death is being treated as unexplained.
Chief Inspector Briony Daye told Lanarkshire Live : "At this time, our thoughts are very much with Amber's loved ones as they come to terms with this terrible loss.
"As we continue our enquiries, there will be an increased police presence in the area. I'd like to thank the public for their assistance so far and ask anyone with information who hasn't already spoken with officers to please call police."
Locals reported seeing children building snowmen and having snowball fights in the Hamilton park shortly before a heavy police presence swooped on the area early on Sunday morning.
Officers cordoned off Cadzow Street from the junction at Leechlee Road up to Hamilton Town House at Auchingramont Road, whilst police also remain on the scene at two entrances to the Glen at Back Row.
Businesses in the area were, however, allowed to open yesterday.
One local said: "It was all very quiet early on Sunday morning apart from few families and children enjoying the snowfall and building snowmen and having snowball fights in the Glen.
"Then all of a sudden there was police everywhere and it was all cordoned off.
"I went out to ask, but they couldn't tell me anything. They have been here ever since guarding the place all night.
"They don't seem to look like they are packing up either, it must be serious."
Anyone with information should contact the police on 101. Information can be left anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here .
- Malaysian rescuers hunt for missing Irish girl
- Body of missing Vietnamese girl from Ho Chi Minh City found in Cambodia
- Body of Franco-Irish teen found in Malaysia jungle
- British police name suicide bomber, threat level raised to critical
- Malaysia steps up search for missing Franco-Irish teen
- Two girls’ bodies found in home of attempted rapist in Hanoi
- Four teenagers drown in northern Vietnam river
- Body of British man killed in Vietnam hiking accident returned to family
- Texas bomb suspect blows himself up after police move in
- Nhandan Newspaper - Whenever you miss me, just call out my name...
- 3 teenagers drown in northern Vietnam
- Missing girl found dead in forest
- Missing British scientist found dead in Greece
- Korea coast guard widens search area for missing bodies
- Body of missing Briton Aiden Webb found: rescuers
- Seven-year-old Colombian girl survives 18 days in jungle
- 4-year-old girl drowns in HCMC swimming pool
- At least 19 killed in suspected suicide attack at concert in British arena
- Hanoi preschool kids drown in construction site pit
- Social News 19/2
Body of missing teenage girl Amber Gibson found in park after frantic search by police have 544 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.