President Joe Biden will urge Americans to get vaccinated and to receive a booster shot as he seeks to quell concerns Monday over the new COVID-19 variant omicron, but won’t immediately push for more restrictions to stop its spread, his chief medical adviser said.
Dr. Anthony Fauci the nation’s top infectious disease expert and Biden’s leading COVID-19 adviser, said Monday that there were as yet still no cases of the variant identified in the U.S. but that it was "inevitable" that it would make its way into the country eventually.
Speaking on ABC s "Good Morning America," Fauci said scientists hope to know in the next week or two how well the existing COVID-19 vaccines protect against the varian t, and how dangerous it is compared to earlier strains.
"We really don't know,” Fauci said, calling speculation "premature."
Biden is set to speak later Monday to emphasize the importance of vaccination to protecting against all variants of the COVID-19 virus and the urgency of vaccinating the roughly 80 million Americans aged 5 and up who haven’t received a shot. But he was not expected to announce any new virus-related restrictions, beyond last week’s move to restrict travel from South Africa and seven other countries in the region effective Monday.
"I don't think so at all,” Fauci said if more restrictions were imminent.
Officials said the move to limit most travel from the countries where omicron was first identified was meant to buy time for the U.S to learn more about the variant. But Fauci said it would eventually reach the U.S. and could, like the delta variant before it, become the dominant strain, saying omicron "has a transmissibility advantage" over other variants.
Pharmaceutical companies are already tweaking their existing COVID-19 vaccines to better attack the omicron variant, but Fauci said Americans should make it a priority to get either their first shots or a booster dose now, rather than waiting for a newly formulated shot.
"I would strongly suggest you get boosted now,” he said.
He added that depending on what scientists learn about the omicron variant in the coming weeks "we may not need" targeted boosters to contain that strain of the virus.
- COVID-19: England set for New Year lockdown as coronavirus variant spreads across UK
- Covid-19: UK sees record surge in daily coronavirus cases as new variant spreads
- EU launches mass Covid-19 vaccination as new variant spreads
- Europe begins vaccine rollout as new Covid variant spreads
- India bans flights from UK till December 31 amid fears of new COVID-19 variant spread
- UK experts are 'highly confident' that a new coronavirus variant is more contagious. Here's what that means
- Countries cut UK off as Johnson holds crisis meeting on new coronavirus variant
- Canada the latest country to halt travel from UK over new Covid-19 variant concerns
- 'Show us the evidence': Scientists call for clarity on claim that new Covid-19 variant strain is 70% more contagious
- New COVID-19 variant: Did Karnataka govt withdraw its night curfew order?
- Carney: 6 Ways a Biden Democrat Run Economy Would Hurt Suburban America
- They’ve Got Biden Fever—and Will Risk COVID to See Inauguration
- Mutant super-infectious English variant of coronavirus that is feared to spread more easily among children 'is probably already in the US and could even have started in America'
- How Britain shot itself in the foot being the 'best in the world' at sequencing viruses and spotting the super-infectious mutation that left the UK a pariah - as scientists admit it could have emerged elsewhere
- Who knew what and when about Britain's Covid mutation? PHE first discovered the fast-spreading variant in October but didn't raise the alarm until last week - amid claims scientists held back discovery to bounce No10 into Tier Four
- Several EU nations halt UK flights, fearing Covid-19 variant
- Government scientists are drawing up plans to vaccinate secondary school pupils to curb spread of new Covid strain - as teaching unions insist they CANNOT start mass testing in January after crunch meeting with ministers
- BioNTech boss warns mutated Covid-19 variant could make achieving herd immunity more difficult with vaccines - as he promises jab could be re-made within six weeks in unlikely scenario it doesn't work against the strain
- New coronavirus variant has triggered 'explosive' outbreaks in schools in London and the South East, says 'Professor Lockdown' Neil Ferguson as he warns the strain has likely spread all over Europe already
- Maps reveal how new Covid strain spread – and is in ALL areas of UK already
Biden pushes shots, not more restrictions as variant spreads have 781 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.