Premier League managerial departures so far this season
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Steven Gerrard has enjoyed a magnificent start to his Aston Villa career with two wins from his first two games after joining from Rangers earlier in November. And according to Rio Ferdinand, the manager and his staff have made a huge impression on the squad at the training ground.
Gerrard, 41, enjoyed a fruitful spell in Scotland in what was his first managerial job.
Having taken over Rangers when they were definitively Scotland’s second-best outfit, Gerrard won the Ibrox club their first top-flight title in 10 years alongside taking multiple scalps in the Europa League.
His exploits garnered interest from Villa, who had sacked Dean Smith after five consecutive losses in the Premier League for the boyhood Villa fan.
Gerrard’s superb start with a 2-0 win over Brighton and a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace has been lauded by fans of the Birmingham-based outfit.
Ferdinand has echoed those thoughts, claiming he has heard extremely good things about Gerrard from those in the Villa camp.
Steven Gerrard has done extremely well as Aston Villa boss so far (Image: GETTY)
The ex-Manchester United defender played alongside Gerrard at his peak in the England ‘Golden Generation’.
And the defender claims those at the club are ‘super impressed’ with Gerrard.
“I'm hearing some really good, good vibes that are coming out of Villa, the way that they're training,’ Ferdinand said on his Vibe with Five podcast.
“They're super impressed with his coaching staff.
“The clarity with which they're training, they've got a clear idea what they're going to do.
“[They are] Enjoying the sessions and getting the results right now, so there's some positive stuff right now.”
Having taken over Villa in 16th place and just two points above the relegation zone, Villa’s new man has lifted them to 13th – seven points clear of the drop.
MORE PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS… Newcastle boss Eddie Howe receives transfer promise from club board Man City’s Guardiola discussed two stars in ‘dinner’ with Barca reps Ralf Rangnick comment made by Ralph Hasenhuttl may worry Man Utd fans
Rio Ferdinand has been praiseful of Gerrard following his arrival at Villa (Image: GETTY)
The Villa Park outfit take on Manchester City on Wednesday night in a bid to make it a hat-trick of successive wins for the Liverpudlian.
Having lost star man Jack Grealish to the Citizens over the summer, the midfielder is set to make a return to the club he has supported since he was a child.
And with City having lost just twice in the Premier League all season, it will be Gerrard’s biggest test yet at the helm.
- 'They haven't played this Aston Villa yet'
- Norwich City 1-5 Aston Villa
- Man City might have a new first team option against Everton
- Man City vs Dinamo Zagreb U19s LIVE
- Man City starting XI vs Everton predicted
- United collapse shows Liverpool the main danger against Man City
- Transfer Talk: Man City, Man United could start bidding war for Ruben Dias
- Man City vs Dinamo Zagreb U19s RECAP
- Conor Hourihane helps Aston Villa see off Seagulls
- Everton midfielder Fabian Delph withdraws from England squad
- Ian Clarke: I'm worried about Norwich City
- Paddy Davitt: Farke and the urban myths around City boss
- Jamal Lewis named in Northern Ireland squad after injury doubt
- Hull City power rankings: Jordy De Wijs rises after Wigan draw
- Liverpool can avoid making Man United's mistake in title battle
- Hull City power rankings: Defenders on the rise and a re-entry
- Super Sunday LIVE: Jose Mourinho & Keane on Manchester United
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Bale wants out, and Man United could be ready to pounce
- Super Sunday LIVE: Mourinho & Keane on United defeat
- Motherwell defender Declan Gallagher called up to Scotland squad
Aston Villa squad 'super impressed' by Steven Gerrard and his staff ahead of Man City tie have 787 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.