ARSENAL head to Liverpool this weekend looking to end nine years of misery at Anfield.
The Gunners are hoping to make it nine games unbeaten – although Mikel Arteta will be hoping for more than a point on Merseyside.
Gooners have to go way back to September 2 2012 for the last success there.
He started in midfield alongside France international Abou Diaby protecting a back four that consisted of Carl Jenkinson, Per Mertesacker, Thomas Vermaelen and Kieran Gibbs.
Vito Mannone was in goal, and he and that defensive unit even managed to shut out Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard and Raheem Sterling to keep a clean sheet.
Speaking of attackers, Arsene Wenger opted for Olivier Giroud to lead the line against the Reds.
Arteta's fellow Spaniard Santi Cazorla was deployed just behind him to pull the strings, and he had Lukas Podolski and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain either side to help provide the ammunition.
Most read in Football
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
Aaron Ramsey, who was yesterday tipped to return to Arsenal , was deployed off the bench with 18 minutes to go – by which time the North London team were already defending their 2-0 lead.
Full-back Andre Santos and centre-half Laurent Koscielny then came off the bench during the closing stages to see out the win.
Arsenal actually took the lead before the break courtesy of Podolski before Cazorla doubled the advantage on 68 minutes.
The next season Liverpool gained revenge by thumping Arsenal 5-1 – the very same scoreline that occurred in the fixture in 2018.
The last two visits in the Premier League have also ended in a 3-1 win for Liverpool and they will be favourites again going into this one.
But after defeat at West Ham last time out, just maybe Arsenal can put an end to nearly a decade of doom and gloom at Anfield on Saturday.
⚽ Read our Football news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals
- Super Rugby 2019: Blues promote All Blacks props back into starting line-up
- Arsenal need to keep their cool when Napoli turn up the heat
- Liverpool's worrying transfer news as Man Utd prepare this surprise bid
- Inside Unai Emery's coaching playbook: A breakdown of Arsenal's resurgence
- Misfiring Liverpool held by resilient Everton and hand advantage to Manchester City
- How rivals fans really feel about Liverpool winning the title
- Another idiot on pitch as Arsenal beat sluggish Man United via De Gea error and soft penalty
- Ronny Rosenthal interview: The cult hero who never got a winners' medal after helping Liverpool to their last title
- Liverpool or Manchester City: what makes a Premier League title winner?
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang stars as Arsenal complete the comeback to reach quarter-final in feisty battle with Rennes
- Fixture chaos, mind games and blind luck: Where will the Premier League title race be won and lost?
- Toby Alderweireld own goal sends Liverpool fans into raptures as they beat Spurs at the last
- How Man City, United and Dortmund have shaped Liverpool under Klopp
- Alexandre Lacazette helps Arsenal swat Napoli aside and cruise into Europa League semi-final
- Cardiff vs Liverpool
- Newcastle vs Liverpool FC LIVE
- Arsenal stroll past struggling Southampton to climb into top four
- Where four former Man Utd and Arsenal footballers performed best
- Why are Arsenal so much better at home and what makes Manchester United so good away?
- Arsenal scout Denis Suarez alternative
Arsenal haven’t won a Prem game at Liverpool in NINE YEARS.. but who joined Arteta in starting line-up? have 652 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 18, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.