Chelsea v Manchester United: Match in Pictures
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Alan Shearer and Ian Wright were left “screaming” at the TV during Chelsea ‘s draw with Manchester United on Sunday. The two former England strikers were demanding more from Chelsea forward Timo Werner, who had a poor afternoon at Stamford Bridge. Werner had more shots than any other player on the pitch but failed to get any on target.
The Germany international has scored just one Premier League goal so far this season.
With Romelu Lukaku close to full fitness, Werner knew he had to impress against United to maintain his spot in Thomas Tuchel’s starting XI.
But it was a game to forget for the former RB Leipzig star.
Speaking on Match of the Day 2, Shearer said Werner is not a natural goalscorer.
Chelsea news: Alan Shearer was not impressed with Timo Werner against Man Utd (Image: BBC)
And he could not understand that lack of movement from the 25-year-old.
“Not his day, he hasn’t had enough days in the blue shirt of Chelsea,” Shearer said.
“When you look at his record before he came to the Premier League with Leipzig, you would think with those goals there was a bit of a natural goalscorer in there.
“But there’s not and the reason why there’s not is because he should actually get into so many good goalscoring positions because he trains with Reece James everyday and plays with him every day.
DON’T MISS Roy Keane hits out at Man Utd boss Michael Carrick – ‘I disagree with everything he said’ [QUOTES] Arsenal ‘extremely attractive’ to Raheem Sterling as Man City star’s agents ‘request exit’ [REPORT] Luka Modric lays out ambitions for Premier League return – but it’s bad news for Newcastle [TRANSFERS]
“We watch Reece James, we know exactly what he’s good at, we know what he’s going to do and we know he’s going to get the ball into the box because of the quality.
“He should get in there and he’ll find that he’ll have a tap-in.
“We were sat screaming at the television this afternoon, myself and Wrighty.
“Exactly the same thing with [Hakim] Ziyech, Ziyech gets into a good position, if [Werner] moves into that position four or five yards out then there’s a tap-in.
Chelsea news: Timo Werner missed a number of chances against Man Utd (Image: GETTY)
“Again there was a complete and utter lack of movement.”
Shearer believes Werner needs one-to-one coaching on the training field for him to better his goalscoring numbers
He added: “He makes everything look far more difficult than it should be.
“Someone should get him and spend hours and hours and hours on the training ground to improve his movement, then you’ll see those goal movements massively improve.”
- Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea could copy Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Alli transfer plan
- Paul Pogba in talks with PSG and 'more and more open' to Man Utd transfer exit
- Jack Grealish warned over Man City or Man Utd transfer problems - 'Might not be wise'
- Alan Shearer questions Gareth Southgate decision after England lose to Italy - 'Big ask'
- Man Utd and Man City target Harry Kane offered transfer advice by Alan Shearer
- Alan Shearer singles out Man Utd and Man City stars for England heroics at Euro 2020
- Alan Shearer was 'seething' with Michael Owen in Newcastle row: 'I'm not stupid'
- Harry Kane beats Man Utd’s Bruno Fernandes to most goals and assists but was still miles behind Prem’s all-time greatest
- Watch Ian Wright and Emma Hayes’ wild celebrations after England goal vs Denmark.. and Three Lions stars ‘love’ it
- Real Madrid's plan to sign Man Utd star Paul Pogba already underway after new contract
- Mino Raiola pushing for Paul Pogba and Cristiano Ronaldo swap as Man Utd saga takes twist
- Paul Parker urges Man Utd to land Declan Rice and details Jadon Sancho mistake - EXCLUSIVE
- Man Utd handed Leon Goretzka transfer blow as Bayern Munich outline contract plans
- England’s back five hailed by Alan Shearer and Frank Lampard ahead of Italy showdown in Euro 2020 final
- Man Utd set for transfer standoff as PSG hatch Paul Pogba plan
- Wesley Fofana confidant details Leicester star's private view on Man Utd transfer
- Four Man Utd stars John Murtough could sell to raise £90m for Harry Kane transfer
- Ed Woodward can finally deliver dream Man Utd transfer that was blocked by Jose Mourinho
- Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer receives Euro 2020 boost ahead of Premier League season
- Man Utd have two obstacles blocking Declan Rice transfer despite making interest clear
Alan Shearer and Ian Wright left 'screaming' at Chelsea star during Man Utd draw have 940 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.