Leo Varadkar’s comments on UK slammed by Mordaunt
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Ireland’s deputy Prime Minister Leo Varadkar , a staunch critic of Brexit , questioned whether countries could trust the UK during negotiations. Dominic Cummings, who had been Boris Johnson’s chief adviser, claimed the UK had always planned to renegotiate the Northern Ireland Protocol. Mr Varadkar then raged in an interview with RTE: “Those comments are very alarming because that would indicate that this is a government, an administration, that acted in bad faith and that message needs to be heard around the world.
"If the British government doesn't honour its agreements, it doesn't adhere to treaties it signs, that must apply to everyone else too.
"Surely the message must go out to all countries around the world that this is a British government that doesn't necessarily keep its word and doesn't necessarily honour the agreements it makes.
"And you shouldn't make any agreements with them until such time as you're confident that they keep their promises, and honour things, for example, like the Protocol.”
But the comments from Mr Varadkar, who was Ireland’s Prime Minister at the height of Brexit negotiations between the UK and EU, has sparked a furious response from Express.co.uk readers.
Brexit news: Leo Varadkar’s attack against the UK has been torn apart (Image: GETTY)
Brexit news: Leo Varadkar launched a furious attack against the UK (Image: GETTY)
Reacting to our initial story, Express reader Going Fishing raged: “So the UK who can't be trusted when we bailed out Ireland in the 2008 financial crash when the EU turned their backs on Ireland? That UK?”
Pino72u fumed: “This guy hates the UK with a vengeance.”
CR2 said: “He questions the UK’s reliability, yet the UK sends across 44 percent of Southern Ireland’s gas to them?
“Nasty guy. Perhaps we ought to show him what can happen if you keep disrespecting the UK.”
Brexit news: The UK Government came under furious attack from Leo Varadkar (Image: GETTY)
JonO said: “Who buys 86 percent of all Irish Exports? Yep, the English.
“Maybe we should put them on the Trading Naughty Step until next year?”
Sonewall1861 wrote: “About time we ceased any agreements with Ireland that are not in British interest like the Common Travel Area.”
In a bombshell revelation, Mr Cummings claimed the UK Government had always planned to “ditch” the Protocol – the trade mechanism currently at the centre of a major war of words between Britain and the EU.
DON’T MISS Sturgeon ‘humiliated’ as dire figures leave SNP scheme ‘in tatters’ [REPORT] German industry boss issues Brexit ultimatum to Britain [COMMENTS] Should Lord Frost reject EU’s new Northern Ireland proposal? VOTE NOW [POLL]
Brexit news: Dominic Cummings launched a blistering attack against the Prime Minister (Image: GETTY)
Brexit news: The UK’s Brexit minister Lord Frost (Image: GETTY)
He also claimed the Prime Minister “never had a scooby-doo what the deal he signed meant”.
Mr Cummings raged: “We wriggled through with the best option we could & intended to get the trolley to ditch bits we didn’t like after whacking Corbyn.
He added: “None what I’ve said does NOT mean ‘the PM was lying in GE2019’, he never had a scooby-doo what the deal he signed meant.
Brexit news: Leo Varadkar is currently Ireland’s deputy Prime Minister (Image: EXPRESS)
“He never understood what leaving Customs Union meant until 11/20.
“We had clear goals and prioritised.
“Our priorities meant e.g getting Brexit done is 10000x more important than lawyers yapping re international law in negotiations with people who break international law all the time.
“EU membership infantilised SW1 as yapping re international law clearly shows.”
- Brexit: How are the UK's talks with the EU going?
- The non-Brits guide to Brexit (because it affects you too)
- Brexit revelation: Why Leo Varadkar was accused of 'gambling on UK cancelling Brexit'
- Is the EU making promises to Leo Varadkar it can't keep? Historian's doubts revealed
- Brexit revelation: How Irish solutions to border problems ‘irritated’ former Chancellor
- Varadkar wants best border deal for Ireland – even if it takes longer to secure
- Angela Merkel tells embattled May that Brexit deal cannot be unpicked
- Johnson: UK is offering the EU a Brexit ‘compromise’
- Varadkar: 'There is a reason we came up with the deal we did'
- Johnson: Rubber about to hit the road in drive for Brexit deal
- Robert Peston reveals why Boris Johnson has the crucial upper hand on MPs over Brexit deal
- ‘Leave with no deal!’ Boris Brexit plan backed but YOU are not convinced - poll
- Varadkar says Irish Government will look to May for British position on Brexit amid Davis resignation
- Boris Johnson: UK offering EU 'very constructive' Brexit proposals
- Boris: ‘EU doesn’t want mutinous Britain in its ranks - they want Brexit as much as we do'
- Brexit: Barnier urges Theresa May to reconsider rejected Irish plan
- I’ve seen how rash words can escalate into conflict. I fear it may happen again | Jonathan Powell
- Reality Check: What's in Johnson's Brexit plan?
- Ireland and EU blamed for Brexit plan leak in plot to keep UK shackled over Irish border
- Arlene Foster warns Varadkar HE will bear responsibility if Brexit negotiations collapse
'We bailed out Ireland!' Varadkar Brexit rant unravels after claim UK 'doesn’t keep word' have 1022 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.