A soldier has died following an incident involving a tank during a military training exercise in Wiltshire.
A tank is understood to have rolled over in the incident, leaving a soldier with significant injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene on a public byway in Enford, Wiltshire.
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance and other specialist paramedics were scrambled to reports of a serious collision on the Salisbury Plain Training Area shortly before midday on Friday.
Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed it sent two fire engines, from Pewsey and Ludgershall, and a heavy rescue unit from Trowbridge to the scene.
A Hazardous Area Response Team, made up of a group of specialist paramedics trained to deal with the most serious of incidents, and several other south Western Ambulance Service ambulance vehicles were seen responding alongside firefighters.
At the height of the incident, around a dozen police officers – from Wiltshire Police and the Military of Defence Police – were in attendance.
The collision investigation is being led by traffic officers from the local force, with units parked in Enford Village Hall car park a short distance from the scene.
A spokesperson for Wiltshire Police only acknowledged that a training exercise was underway, stating that there was “a military operation taking place” on the plain at the time. They did not make any comment on the road traffic collision.
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence said: “It is with sadness that we can confirm the death of a soldier on Salisbury Plain Training Area.
“Wiltshire Police are investigating and therefore it would be inappropriate to comment further.”
- Isometric Exercises - Some Common Questions Answered
- 'Those poor souls, they didn't have their fathers here': US Colonel buries his soldier son and Marines care for an orphaned baby in heartbreaking WWII colourized images from the Pacific theater
- Stag Night - Tank Diving
- What Vehicle Did the Army Want in a Reconnaissance Car?
- British ISIS 'matchmaker' and former Irish soldier-turned jihadi bride 'are held in Syrian rebel "safehouse" after escaping detention camps'
- Issue of Pakistani drones to feature prominently at Army commanders' meet
- America's oldest Second World War veteran dies at 112: Hero soldier who fought the Japanese and credited his long life to whiskey and cigars passes away after battle with pneumonia
- Indian army conducts massive exercise near China border in Eastern Ladakh
- Indian Army chopper crashes in Bhutan, both pilots killed
- Year of Next of Kin: Army plans 'ultimate run'; works on resolving their pending issues
- Vietnam gives $523,000 to Cambodia for search of remains of Vietnamese soldiers
- South Korean soldier who lost legs to landmine aims for Paralympic gold
- South Korean soldier who lost legs to DMZ landmine aims for Paralympic gold
- Mexico hit by SECOND deadly shootout as 15 die in a gunfight between security forces and armed civilians - just one day after 13 cops were killed in a cartel ambush
- Army shapes long-term war vision with new infantry vehicle
- The Latest: 1 soldier, 14 civilians die in Mexico gunbattle
- Israeli army shoots down drone from Gaza
- Army Style Exercises For Losing Belly Fat - Get Flat Abs in 30 Days
- Traumatic Incident Reduction May Be the Solution
- Musket that fired the first shot of the Battle of Bunker Hill is auctioned by family of Revolutionary War soldier who was court martialed for shooting at Redcoats prematurely and whose grandson Ulysses S. Grant became president
Soldier dies in tank incident during army exercise have 545 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at October 16, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.