A picturesque seaside resort town has been rocked after a 77-year-old retired schoolteacher was found decapitated in her home.
The unnamed local woman was found in gruesome fashion – with her head on a coffee table next to her body – at her home Agde in the Herault region of southern France.
Suspicions were quickly raised when her son was unable to contact her via the phone, as the pair normally spoke on a daily basis.
Prosecutor Raphael Balland said that authorities were currently questioning a man over the tragedy.
“It is a 51-year-old man who knew the victim.”
A local source also said that there were no signs of a break-in at the home, with the outside gate closed and the front door left unlocked.
They said: “The woman's son was apparently connected to the home via video link, and he reported that he had seen a shadow on the ground.”
The woman was known to have been living alone following the death of her husband – she had two children.
Authorities have said locally, according to several reports across French media outlets, that they are so far ruling out terrorism and that the incident has not yet been referred to anti-terror prosecutors at the time or reporting.
Located on the River Hérault, around four kilometres from the Mediterranean Sea and 750 kilometres from Paris, Agde is one of the oldest towns in France and has a population of around 30,000.
Mr Balland had, in June, called on French prosecutors to take a tougher stance on domestic violence, after several cases of defendants who committed such acts being given minimal sentences or being released without charge, according to French newspaper Midi Libre.
It is also believed to be a popular destination for nudists.
Keep up to date with all the latest pub news by signing up to one of Daily Star’s free newsletters here .
- Retired teacher, 77, found decapitated with her head on the table at South of France resort as cops launch murder probe
- Woman, 77, is found decapitated ‘with her head on a table next to her body’ at her home in French Mediterranean resort
- Woman, 77, found beheaded in southern France, suspect held
- James Pattinson, the Australian fast bowler, retires from cricket at 31
- Queen in hospital latest news – Monarch, 95, urged to RETIRE and rest after spending night in hospital over health fears
- Veteran Post writer dies at 77
- 7 tips for better sleep - notepad trick, how to kick coffee habit, when not to eat dinner
- The 5 newest independent bars to head to for a good time
- I too became a TV talking head!
- The Island Nation That Bought a Back-Up Property
- Philip Roth Was His Own Favorite Subject. What’s Left for a Biographer?
- 5 stabbed at rabbi's Hanukkah celebration by intruder with machete-type knife
- Openly gay priest from Denver’s famed McNichols family to show first major art exhibit of Catholic icons
- Love and Anger
- "It was just like watching him fall asleep": Daughter who took dad, 93, to die at Dignitas euthanasia clinic shares what happened
- Homeless man jailed after 'brutal' murder of waiter dating back almost 40 years
- I’d rather be in jail than on streets, says homeless man as he confesses to murder after 40 years
- 'We have to change': FFA spells out how it wants to transform football in Australia
- Our reporter went on a roo hunt. This is what she saw
Retired schoolteacher, 77, decapitated as head found on coffee table next to body have 550 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at October 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.