US real estate heir Robert Durst has been sentenced to life in prison without parole for the murder of his best friend more than two decades ago.
Durst, 78, was convicted in a Los Angeles court last month of shooting Susan Berman in the back of the head at her home in December 2000.
Prosecutors said that Ms Berman had helped him provide a false alibi in relation to the disappearance of his wife Kathleen McCormack in 1982.
It was alleged that he killed Ms Berman to prevent her from revealing this to police.
Durst, a cancer survivor who uses a wheelchair, spent 15 days testifying during the trial, claiming he had found his friend’s body when he went to visit her.
While Durst, believed to be worth $100m (£73m), was only on trial for killing Ms Berman, prosecutors believe he murdered two others – his wife, and a neighbour in Texas who discovered his identity while he was hiding from police.
Durst has never been charged in the disappearance of Ms McCormack, who was a 29-year-old medical student when she vanished.
More from US
He has long been a suspect and Westchester County District Attorney Mimi Rocah reopened the case in May.
Regarding the murder and dismemberment of Texas neighbour Morris Black in 2001, Durst was tried but acquitted.
He had claimed Mr Black was shot accidentally when the two men fought over a gun.
The trial for Ms Berman’s murder – which began in March last year but was adjourned for 14 months due to the coronavirus pandemic – came six years after an HBO TV series The Jinx.
Durst had still been wearing a live microphone after his interview in the series and was heard saying to himself in the bathroom: “What the hell did I do? … Killed them all, of course”.
Lead prosecutor John Lewin said the interviews in the series had helped to make the case against Durst.
Durst is the grandson of Joseph Durst, who founded the Durst Organisation, one of Manhattan’s largest commercial property firms.
His father, Seymour, took control of the company and later gave it to a younger brother, Douglas.
Douglas Durst told jurors he had not seen his brother in 20 years and they had not spoken since 1999, adding: “He’d like to murder me”.
- Real Estate Heir Robert Durst Arrested on Murder Charges
- Real estate heir Robert Durst continues fight to get Westchester DA to turn over files on wife
- Notorious real estate heir Robert Durst’s trespassing trial begins
- Robert Durst case: Death penalty on table; extradition delayed
- Robert Durst: The Definitive Story That You Didn't See on TV
- Will Apparent Confession Tape Lead to Conviction of Robert Durst?
- Episode 5 of HBO doc "The Jinx" on Robert Durst airs Sunday
- Feds say Robert Durst loses right to privacy over using phony name, IDs at New Orleans hotel
- Robert Durst may plead guilty to Louisiana gun charge to hurry to California murder trial
- Robert Durst may face wrongful-death lawsuit from family of his first wife, who vanished in 1982
- Judge Jeanine Previews Fox News Special, 'Robert Durst and My Quest for Justice'
- Robert Durst: Why Westchester's case is still unsolved
- Robert Durst admits lying about wife's disappearance on HBO
- Robert Durst 'confesses' to murder on HBO
- Did Robert Durst confess to murders on HBO?
- Kin of Robert Durst’s missing 1st wife file $100M lawsuit
- Robert Durst cleared of trespassing charges for allegedly going onto brother’s Midtown property
- Suspected Robert Durst victim must be declared dead in order for $100M lawsuit to continue
- Finale of HBO's 'The Jinx' about Robert Durst airs tonight
- Andrew Jarecki says HBO's 'The Jinx' will give a clear view of multimillionaire black sheep Robert Durst
Real estate heir Robert Durst jailed for murder of best friend have 647 words, post on news.sky.com at October 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.