Queen wanted the public to overhear her comments says Arbiter
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Her Majesty, 95, voiced her “irritation” at world leaders who “talk” but “don’t do” when it comes to taking action on environmental issues. This remark was picked up by a microphone on October 14 as the monarch, Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall , attended the sixth opening of the Senedd.
This rare comment from the Queen, who has remained politically impartial during her record-breaking reign, signals how key members of the Royal Family are all involved and committed to protecting the planet, according to royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams.
He told Express.co.uk: “The Queen ‘s candid intervention on the forthcoming COP26 summit when she was in Wales to open the Welsh Parliament and which was picked up from the event’s live stream, highlights the commitment of members of the Royal Family on environmental issues.”
The commentator went on highlighting the most prominent work done in the field by the royals.
Mr Fitzwilliams said: “Her late Consort, Prince Philip, did much pioneering environmental work, beginning in the 1950s.
The Queen hit out at world leaders dithering on taking actions on environmental issues (Image: GETTY)
The Queen and Prince Charles planting a tree for the QGC initiative (Image: GETTY)
“The Prince of Wales has campaigned on the environment for half a century and is famous for it.
“And Prince William has recently launched the prestigious Earthshot Prize, awarded to five winners each year, whose solutions will substantially help the environment over the next decade. This is also a highly significant contribution in this area.
“The Queen, the world's most experienced head of state, expressed impatience with world leaders on this issue, saying how irritating it is when they ‘simply talk, but don't do’.
“She also regretted the fact that some had not yet committed to attending this pivotal gathering.
READ MORE: Prince Harry announces new eco project
Prince Charles and Camilla were at the Senedd yesterday (Image: GETTY)
“She has been involved in several initiatives in this area including the Queen's Commonwealth Canopy, proposed in her name by Commonwealth countries to help protect the world's forests and environmentally friendly initiatives at the royal residences.
“In her Christmas message two years ago, she praised the sense of purpose of new generations who were striving to protect the environment.”
The Canopy was launched in 2015 as a network of forest conservation programmes.
Just one year later, 46 state members of the Commonwealth had already adhered to the initiative.
The Queen, Camilla and Prince Charles in Cardiff (Image: GETTY)
Prince William during a Generation Earthshot event (Image: GETTY)
More recently, the Queen also backed another green initiative, the Queen’s Green Canopy (QGC).
Launched by the monarch at the beginning of October alongside Prince Charles, the patron of the initiative, the QGC invites people across the Commonwealth to plant a tree to celebrate the upcoming Jubilee.
The initiative wants to create a lasting tribute to the Queen and also reminds the sovereign has planted more than 1500 trees around the world during her tours and visits.
Mr Fitzwilliams added the effort being put by the Royal Family into promoting the environmental cause demonstrates the Firm’s power.
The longest-serving British monarchs (Image: EXPRESS)
He said: “The way they are promoting this issue is a remarkable example of how the Royal Family project soft power.”
The Queen unleashed her rare and outspoken criticism after delivering a poignant speech to the members of the Welsh Parliament and the nation’s First Minister Mark Drakeford.
At the end of the opening session, Her Majesty left the debating chamber accompanied by Charles, Camilla and Elin Jones, presiding officer of the Welsh Parliament.
In a conversation with the Duchess of Cornwall and Ms Jones, the monarch said: "Extraordinary, isn't it? I've been hearing all about COP.
“I still don't know who is coming. No idea.
Prince William launched the Earthshot Prize last October (Image: GETTY)
“We only know about people who are not coming.
“It's really irritating when they talk but they don't do.”
The Queen will travel to Glasgow in November to take part in COP26.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Charles and Camilla will also carry out events during this pivotal United Nations summit.
- 'It's a masterclass in wanting to have your cake and eat it’: Furious Buckingham Palace aides turn on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after they stun the Queen by ‘pressing the nuclear button’ and quitting the Royal Family
- Prince Harry and Prince William release extraordinary joint statement in response to bullying claims
- Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry's Anniversary: How The Royal Couple Have Broken the Mold
- From hugging kids to wearing bare shoulders: Meghan breaks with royal tradition
- Queen caught on camera saying Chinese officials were 'very rude'
- Queen’s grandson Peter Phillips confirms divorce with wife Autumn of 12 years saying it’s ‘sad but best for the kids’
- Queen ‘upset’ as grandson Peter Phillips separates from wife Autumn after 12 years of marriage
- The hardest day for the Queen since Harry and Meghan left
- Royal fans spot Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s plug for Global Positive News Network is actually ad for online shop
- Prince Charles praises ‘remarkable’ Greta Thunberg as he says he doesn’t want Prince George and Archie ‘to accuse me of not doing something’ on climate change and humanity ‘simply cannot waste any more time’
- Lawyers for UK teenager Harry Dunn's family and Jeffrey Epstein's 'sex slaves' join forces to demand Britain and US 'SWAP' Prince Andrew for diplomat's wife wanted over death crash
- Royal wedding goes off without a hitch
- Piers Morgan brands Meghan Markle a 'mini royal Kardashian' who pushes 'wet drip' Prince Harry around and tells of fear 'ego-mad' pair will bring down monarchy in new Fox documentary
- Fixer who bankrolls royals: They're the lucrative deals some of our prominent royals like Zara Tindall would rather you didn't know about... cash for connections bought by a wealthy Hong Kong socialite
- Another royal split: Queen Elizabeth's grandson and Canadian wife to divorce
- End of the fairytale for former PA Autumn Kelly who fell for her Prince Charming Peter Phillips BEFORE realising he was a royal and renounced her Catholicism to marry him
- 68 Years of Service For Queen Elizabeth II Who Ascended The Throne This Day in 1952
- 'An inspiration to us all': victims of Nazism honoured by Queen
- Courage to Speak Empowering Youth to be Drug-Free Family Night
- Kate steps up: The making of a future Queen
Queen's extraordinary remarks about world leaders 'highlight commitment' of Royal Family have 1261 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.