China risks economic turmoil amid population crisis says expert
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The advanced space capability caught US intelligence by surprise. According to the Financial TImes, Five people who were familiar with the test said the Chinese military launched a rocket which carried a hypersonic glide vehicle.
The vehicle flew through low-orbit space before cruising down towards its target.
However, the missile missed its target by about two-dozen miles, according to three people briefed on the intelligence.
Two others commented that the progress on hypersonic weapons was far more advanced than US officials realised.
A fourth person said: "We have no idea how they did this."
Xi Jinping, leader of China (Image: PA)
Plane in the conflict (Image: PA)
Fravel, a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, told the FT: "Hypersonic glide vehicles . . . fly at lower trajectories and can manoeuvre in flight, which makes them hard to track and destroy."
Fravel commented it would be "destabilising" if China fully developed and deployed such a weapon in the future.
However, he suggested a test did not necessarily mean Beijing would deploy the capability.
The comments on China's latest military test come amid surging military tensions and activity around Taiwan.
South China sea (Image: PA)
South China sea (Image: PA)
Chinese fighter jets and combat ships have conducted almost daily joint assault drills to invade Taiwan's Air Defence Identification Zone.
In September, Taiwan conducted biowarfare defence drills amid fears China could have weaponised a number of deadly pathogens including coronaviruses.
The simulation drills come amid fears China has spent decades researching biological weapons and may already possess deadly "bacteria bombs" using their stockpiles of anthrax and coronaviruses.
US military officials have also warned about China's increasing nuclear capabilities, especially after the release of satellite imagery which showed it was building more than 200 intercontinental missile silos.
DON’T MISS BBC’s Ros Atkins delivers withering verdict on Taiwan and China war [REVEAL] China poised to strike ‘vulnerable’ Taiwan islands in challenge to US [INSIGHT] China could 'wipe out 12 million' with horrifying nuclear submarines [ANALYSIS]
China’s military power (Image: Express)
Frank Kendall, US air force secretary, suggested China was developing a new weapon. He said China had made huge advances, including the "potential for global strikes . . . from space."
He did not give exact details but inferred China was developing something akin to the "Fractional Orbital Bombardment System."
- TECH TREK Pentagon Wary of New Chinese Missile Vehicle
- Missile Detection Inspires Safer Cardiac Imaging Approach
- PS4 Neo, Xbox One “Scorpio” and My Possibly Irrational Fear of an Escalation
- Dark Souls II Will Force You To Overcome Your Fear Of Failure… By Facing Death, A Lot
- LINUX PICKS AND PANS Anarchy Linux Dispels Fear of Arch
- Xiaomi MiPad with Nvidia Tegra K1 review
- Extreme-Scale Computing Scholars Share their Experiences
- OPINION Could Tech Nerf North Korea?
- Beyond live TV - what the Xbox One user interface means for gamers
- Robot Revolution Explores Visionary World through Cutting-edge Robots
- Don't try to sell Call of Duty to us as anti-war
- TECH TREK Iran Double-Exposed for Stealth Jet Photoshopping
- The science behind Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Civilization V Guide to Civilizations
- Suspicion Centers on N. Korea in DoS Blitz but No Smoking Gun
- 52 of the best games of 2015
- Partition, 70 years on: Salman Rushdie, Kamila Shamsie and other writers reflect
- A brief history of artificial intelligence beating humans
- Opinion: 's Singleplayer, Multiplayer Conundrum
- The strange, sad anxiety of Jason Rohrer's
‘No idea how they did this!’ US fear after China tests nuclear-capable hypersonic missile have 700 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 17, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.