A Lebanese judge has charged 68 people in this month’s deadly clash in Beirut that left seven people dead and dozens wounded, the state news agency reported Monday.
The clash south of Beirut on Oct. 14 was the worst fighting in the capital in years and broke out during a Hezbollah-organized protest against the judge leading the investigation into last year's massive Beirut port blast.
The National News Agency said Government Commissioner to the Military Court Judge Fadi Akiki charged the 68 people with crimes including murder, attempted murder, inciting sectarian strife, having unlicensed weapons and sabotage.
The battle went on for five hours between supporters of Lebanon's two powerful Shiite factions, Hezbollah and Amal, and gunmen believed to be supporters of the Christian Lebanese Forces party. It took place on the line between Beirut's Chiyah and Ain el-Rumaneh neighborhoods, the same frontline that bisected the capital into warring sections during the country's civil war.
NNA said 18 are in detention while the remaining 50 remain at large. It did not give a breakdown to which groups the 68 belong.
Samir Geagea, the leader of the Lebanese Forces party, has said that he refuses to be questioned by Akiki unless the judge first questions Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah.
- BEIRUT DEATH TOLL AT 161 AMERICANS; ; FRENCH CASUALTIES RISE IN BOMBINGS;; REAGAN INSISTS MARINES WILL REMAIN; BUILDINGS BLASTED
- Beirut port investigator renews summonses of ex-ministers
- Hamas says three members shot dead at Palestinian camp in Lebanon
- Judge probing Beirut blast calls for arrest of powerful suspect
- Victorian teen gets more than six years for stabbing manslaughter of Thomas Tran, judge says he 'agonised' over sentence
- Delhi riots | Court frames ‘attempt to murder’ charge against man who pointed gun at police officer
- Alex Murdaugh tells judge his problems stem from opiate addiction as bond set at $7M
- Marcus D. Gordon, Judge in ‘Mississippi Burning’ Case, Dies at 84
- Skilyr Hicks dead: America's Got Talent singer dies at 23 as mother pays emotional tribute
- Dallas Police Searching For Darius Owens After Deadly Shooting On South Hampton Road
- Judge torn over woman's sentence, says it isn't clear whether she tried to kill her newborn
- South African court grants delay in Jacob Zuma's corruption trial
- Alex Murdaugh now facing more than 50 charges after new indictments filed
- Alex Murdaugh now faces nearly 50 charges for stealing $6.2M from clients: Court says
- Judge in Beirut port blast demands arrest of former minister
- Families of Beirut blast victims rally for probe to resume
- Lebanon explosion: Fears of 12 dead and 16 wounded after refugee camp blast
- Around a dozen people injured in explosion at south Lebanon Palestinian camp
- Around A Dozen People Injured In Explosion At South Lebanon Palestinian Camp
Lebanese judge charges 68 over deadly clash south of Beirut have 456 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at October 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.