Jack Wilshere has revealed that Kieran Tierney is the fastest player in the Arsenal squad and is tipping him to become the club's next captain.
Tierney arrived at the Emirates from Scottish giants Celtic in 2019 and has quickly become one of the first names in Mikel Arteta's starting XI.
Despite a turbulent time for the club on the pitch since he joined, the 24-year-old's strong mentality has led to many fans calling for him to be given the captain's armband.
Wilshere, who is currently training with the Gunners first-team squad until he can find a new club of his own, also backs the Scotland international to become the next skipper, while also settling a long-standing question over who is the fastest player at the club.
'He's not been there the last few weeks, he's been away with Scotland, but everyone has spoken about him being a great lad, a natural leader, so potentially yea [the next captain],' the midfielder told talkSPORT.
'We were doing a sprint test today and I asked the fitness guy 'who is the fastest player, is it Aubameyang' and he said 'no it's Kieran Tierney' – it surprised me.'
Earlier this year, Arsenal star Martin Odegaard was also asked about who is the fastest player at the club, but he gave a different answer to Wilshere.
'I would say Aubameyang, I think he's the fastest player in the team, and I don't see any other players being on his level. It is difficult to be faster than him I think,' he said.
When asked if he was anywhere near the top of the leaderboard, the Norway international said he wasn't, but name-checked Tierney as someone who could potentially challenge the Gabon international.
'Not really, not really,' he said. 'I don't think I stand a chance, but some of the other players maybe, Kieran Tierney said he might beat him, but I don't know, we'll have to see.'
For more stories like this, check our sport page .
- Arsenal to ship-out NINE first-team Stars this summer to cut costs with Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs facing axe
- Jack Wilshere reveals England axe made him quit Arsenal for game time at Bournemouth
- Bournemouth players trying to persuade on loan Jack Wilshere told to ditch Arsenal and stay long term
- Arsene Wenger insists Jack Wilshere will stay at Arsenal next season despite interest from abroad
- Jack Wilshere was convinced to move to Bournemouth by best mate and former Arsenal team-mate Benik Afobe
- Celtic prospect Kieran Tierney is wanted by Premier League clubs, and here’s why he’s being chased
- Jack Wilshere can be Arsenal manager in the future, insists Arsene Wenger
- Jack Wilshere keen to return to Arsenal next term and regain his place – especially if Mesut Ozil leaves
- Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Kieran Gibbs’ Arsenal futures in doubt as they’re yet to open contract talks
- Premier League: Eddie Howe says that Jack Wilshere has already given Bournemouth players a boost
- Antoine Griezmann, Bernardo Silva and Kieran Tierney: Jose Mourinho’s top five Manchester United targets revealed
- Arsenal star Jack Wilshere has tipped off his Bournemouth team-mates on how to beat Arsenal
- Wayne Rooney is a liability, Jack Wilshere may regret Bournemouth move, Arsene Wenger has lost control and West Ham are a let down
- Jack Wilshere injuries are beginning to subside, as Bournemouth medic reveals how they are managing on-loan Arsenal midfielder
- Kieran Tierney wishes his new six-year deal was LONGER as he admits he would love to stay at Celtic for LIFE
- Deadline day will be remembered for the shock moves of maverick pair David Luiz and Jack Wilshere to Chelsea and Bournemouth
- Arsene Wenger has not spoken to Jack Wilshere since broken leg wrecked Arsenal midfielder’s loan to Bournemouth
- Jack Wilshere says he is ‘fitter than he has ever been’ as he aims to bag Arsenal first-team spot
- Arsenal 0 Red Star Belgrade 0 match report: Jack Wilshere impresses again as Gunners qualify for Europa League last 32
- Jack Wilshere: Arsenal midfielder and Bournemouth loanee admits he’s thriving in new surroundings
Jack Wilshere reveals Kieran Tierney is Arsenal’s fastest player and tips him to be next captain have 750 words, post on metro.co.uk at October 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.