Essex Police Chief gives statement following David Amess murder
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The 69-year-old was attacked at Belfairs Methodist Church on Friday while holding one of his regular constituency surgeries. It is understood a knifeman walked into the church in the Leigh-on-Sea area of Essex before carrying out the assault. Police later confirmed the MP tragically passed away at the scene. Mr Amess' death has been widely reported, and the BBC decided to pull Have I Got News for You from its TV schedule out of respect for the MP.
The programme, which regularly takes aim as politicians usually airs on Fridays at 9pm on BBC One.
Instead, the BBC is showing an episode of Would I Lie to You.
Before the programme was due to air, a continuity announcer said: “Following today’s news events, some changes to tonight’s schedule.
"We won’t be showing Have I Got News For You or The Cleaner. Instead, there will be Miranda in half an hour after Would I Lie to You.”
Have I Got News For You: The BBC programme was pulled from the TV schedule on Friday night (Image: BBC/Getty)
Have I Got News For You: Police later confirmed the MP tragically passed away at the scene (Image: Getty)
The BBC also gave viewers an update on their website. The broadcaster explained: “Have I Got News for You, Series 62, Episode 2 will not broadcast on 15th October 2021 as previously planned.
"The page will update with new schedule information when confirmed.”
BBC bosses also took to the Have I Got News for You Twitter account to confirm the news.
The post read: “The BBC have pulled tonight's Have I Got News For You following today's shocking events. The show will be broadcast early next week.”
Have I Got News For You: The show was replaced with an episode of Who I Lie to You? (Image: BBC)
The BBC have pulled tonight's Have I Got News For You following today's shocking events. The show will be broadcast early next week.
— Have I Got News For You (@haveigotnews) October 15, 2021
Despite the shake-up in the TV schedule, confused viewers took to social media to question why the BBC programme wasn't on.
Lynne quizzed: "Um, where’s Have I Got News For You tonight? New series only began last week – very confused…." (sic)
Shell said: "Anyone know why Have I got News for You been pulled?"
While Joanne praised: "Tonight’s Have I Got News For You has been cancelled. Presumably because of David Amess’ murder. Kudos, BBC for showing some respect." (sic)
DON’T MISS… GB News panel erupts in furious panic buying clash ‘You’re selfish’ [VIDEO] Hairy Bikers fans send support to Dave Myers after TV return [REACTION] GMB's Richard Arnold speaks out about Piers Morgan's replacement [INSIGHT]
On Friday afternoon, police closed Eastwood Road North between Bellhouse Lane and Oakwood Avenue due to the incident.
Essex Police later released a statement to confirm a man had been arrested.
The statement began: “A man has been arrested on suspicion murder after a man was stabbed in Leigh-on-Sea.
"We were called to an address in Eastwood Road North shortly after 12.05pm today (Friday 15 October)."
The statement continued: “We attended and found a man injured.
"He was treated by emergency services but, sadly, died at the scene.
“A 25-year-old man was quickly arrested after officers arrived at the scene on suspicion of murder and a knife was recovered.
“He is currently in custody. We are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident.”
Have I Got News for You is available to watch on BBC iPlayer.
- Money Problems? Elizabeth Warren Pulls TV Ads After Iowa Disappointment
- 'I was a mistress for five years - but I didn't even know:' How girlfriend of Have I Got News For You composer found out he was married to someone else AFTER his death
- FA Cup fifth round TV schedule announced with Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea to be shown over 4 days of action-packed week
- Shopper, 36, tells how she cheated death when Streatham jihadi Sudesh Amman stabbed her during his rampage – but BEFORE he’d take his knife out of its plastic packaging
- Kirk Douglas dead at 103: Spartacus star's heartbroken son Michael Douglas shares news of Hollywood legend's passing
- Pitbull pulls out of Steven Tyler's Grammy viewing party at the last minute because he was too heartbroken over Kobe Bryant's death
- EXCLUSIVE - 'Nobody tells a woman what to wear... never mind in Parliament': Shadow Culture Secretary Tracy Brabin's TV director husband tells of wife's 'shock' at outcry over her off-the-shoulder dress
- Madonna vows to get 'arrested' in feud with the London Palladium after curtain was pulled down on her raunchy Madame X show in 'censorship' row
- Piers Morgan BLASTS Tracy Brabin while Holly Willoughby DEFENDS Labour MP in heated debates... amid 'sexist' criticism of her £35 off-the-shoulder ASOS dress in the Commons
- David Jason reveals A Touch of Frost nearly returned but TV bosses pulled plug
- Charity bids for Labour MP Tracy Brabin's £35 off-the-shoulder dress that sparked outrage when she wore it in the Commons reach £13,000 on eBay
- 'Disgusted' mother of Streatham terrorist reveals how she found out he was dead when she saw his name on TV – and how he asked for his favourite mutton biryani before launching attack
- Labour MP Tracy Brabin says she'd rushed to the Commons just before 6pm from a 'music event' and her dress slipped as she hobbled with a broken ankle before trolls called her a 'slapper'
- Labour MP Tracy Brabin proudly displays a necklace emblazoned with SUFFRAGETTE slogan about courage as she hits back at 'sexist' criticism over her £35 off-the-shoulder ASOS dress
- Taxi driver who took 'drunk' Michael Barrymore and Stuart Lubbock to the entertainer's Essex home says the TV star 'was in no fit state to entertain' - but 'DID want to have sex'
- Holly Willoughby fiercely defends MP Tracy Brabin over 'inappropriate' dress scandal
- Delhi Assembly Elections 2020: BJP MP Gautam Gambhir Casts Vote With Family, Says 'Voting is Not Only Our Right But Our Power'
- 'Never been more proud of my friend': Holly Willoughby pays tribute to This Morning co-host Phillip Schofield as stars support TV veteran after he comes out as gay
- The moment Phillip Schofield and Ruth Langsford's feud thawed: Presenter wraps her arms around TV host after he comes out as gay... following his admission that he was getting to the point where he 'didn't like himself'
- Kirk Douglas' last family photo: Late actor is seen sitting proudly among four generations while dining at son Michael's home... as tributes pour in for the star after his death aged 103
Have I Got News for You pulled from TV schedule after MP's death have 1284 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 16, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.