EVIDENCE on a crash pilot's mental state will be probed in a secret court hearing usually reserved for spooks.
Andrew Hill , 56, was cleared of the manslaughter of 11 men in the 2015 Shoreham airshow tragedy.
But now the coroner investigating the victims' deaths plans to examine his crucial defence claim of "cognitive impairment" at the controls.
Legal papers show East Sussex Coroner Penelope Schofield has demanded access to Hill's cockpit GoPro footage, expert medical reports and criminal court transcripts.
The material is "protected" under EU law, meaning it can only be used for safety investigations. But Ms Schofield's battle for the papers will be settled in the rare secret hearing, likely to be in December.
A High Court judge likened it to a closed "public interest immunity" court session — normally used by MI5 or MI6.
Ms Schofield also wants to probe the findings by two Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) reports on grounds of "potential incompleteness".
High Court documents show she will assess if Hill's "conscious and deliberate conduct contributed to the crash".
Most read in The Sun
The inquest will also challenge whether he "suffered a cognitive impairment which affected his flying abilities".
If she finds Hill at fault, it could pave the way for civil lawsuits from victims' families.
A 2017 AAIB report ruled Hill flew too low and too slow at the West Sussex airshow. He was cleared of all criminal charges in March 2019.
- 'Roid rage' Trump crashes markets by tweeting that there will be NO stimulus until after election - as doctor voices fear his COVID medication causes mania, aggression and psychosis
- Newt Gingrich tells Donald Trump and Senate Republicans to open 'investigations' into 'fraud' in states called for Joe Biden including Arizona echoing president's claims Democrats are 'stealing election'
- Probing judicial impropriety and corruption
- GOP presses ahead after election with Russia probe review
- DOJ Concludes Probe Into Epstein’s Shady Plea Deal, Lets Acosta Off the Hook
- Marathon man Trump: President finishes up his fifth rally across five states in Florida and tells the crowd he's going to win because he's ‘running as an American’ while Biden is ‘running as a Democrat'
- 'The issue we have in Georgia is it's close': Ballot official attempts to explain result delay and says state is down to its last 47,227 votes as Trump's tight lead HALVES in 24 hours to just 9,000
- Russians use ‘secret microwave weapon’ to target American spies across the globe… including on US SOIL, CIA probe claims
- Trump’s fancy ambassadors: His other “quid pro quo” is DC’s biggest open secret
- She fell from the sky: How the Covid-19 pandemic crashed into Russia’s legendary space city
- House Republicans Declare War on FBI, Vote to Spill Its Secrets and Investigate It
- Dutch Prosecutor Insists Witnesses in MH17 Crash Case Remain Anonymous
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Newsom says state ‘prepared’ for potential unrest
- Eerie UFO filmed over Hawaii may be a doomed spacecraft crashing across Earth’s skies, says scientist
- Bollywood drugs case: Delhi HC to hear filmmakers’ plea against media trial today
- Candace Owens calls Black Lives Matter a ‘Democrat scam from the beginning’ that ‘secretly funneled money to Joe Biden’
- Manchester Arena bombing: Security worker told police about 'crank' praying before blast, inquiry hears
- Trump's family joins him on stage for freezing Wisconsin rally as he warns crowd the left will 'loot and rob when he beats the weak, fragile Biden'
- BREAKING NEWS: Biden takes narrow lead in Wisconsin and Michigan after Trump declares VICTORY and says election process is a 'fraud': President vows to go to Supreme Court to stop late voting as Joe demands every ballot counts
- Men going their own way: the rise of a toxic male separatist movement
Evidence on Shoreham crash pilot’s mental state will be probed in secret hearing have 727 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at October 17, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.