Harry and Meghan criticised for moving into ethical banking
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Diane Wei Liang, a former senior business professor, told GB News that Harry and Meghan’s latest job is a “little ironic”. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex joined Ethic, an ethical investment firm that manages more than $1.3bn (£946m). Ms Liang said that green ethical investment “is the future,” but warned that the sustainability of the Ethic fund “is another question”.
The couple have been named as 'impact partners' and investors at the New York-based asset manager.
Ethic, which was co-founded by British businessman Jay Lipman, invests in projects with socially and environmentally responsible themes.
Ms Liang told GB News: “Green industry will be the future.
“We know Tesla. We have an energy shortage right now. How we resolve that is not by doubling coal production like in China.”
Diane Wei Liang said Harry and Meghan’s latest job is a ‘little ironic’ (Image: GB NEWS)
The couple have been named as 'impact partners' and investors at the New York-based asset manager (Image: GETTY)
The Chinese-born author added: “It is by moving into sustainable energy and resources. Storing energy from the sun and the windmills, that is the future.
“Investing in green energy is future-proof. Whether this Ethic fund is future-proof that is another question.
“And for Harry and Meghan, what is interesting is for them to be flying around in private jets and creating that much carbon footprint and yet turn around and preach ethical green investing.
“It is a little ironic.”
Royal commentator on Harry and Meghan’s private jet usage
The Duchess confirmed that they were introduced to Mr Lipman and Ethic by friends (Image: GETTY)
Explaining the move, Meghan told the New York Times this week: “From the world, I come from, you don't talk about investing, right?
“You don't have the luxury to invest. That sounds so fancy.
“My husband has been saying for years, 'Gosh, don't you wish there was a place where if your values were aligned like this, you could put your money to that same sort of thing?'”
The New York Times report suggested the couple could “attract more attention to sustainable investing”.
Royal Family LIVE: Oh dear! Meghan and Harry shoot themselves in foot [LIVE BLOG] Penny Mordaunt fires back on BBC QT at Varadkar’s swipe against UK [VIDEO] Rejoin EU activist mocked after anti-Brexit campaign claims [INTERVIEW]
The New York Times report suggested the couple could ‘attract more attention to investing’ (Image: GETTY)
Harry said: “You already have the younger generation voting with their dollars and their pounds, you know, all over the world when it comes to brands they select and choose from.”
The Duchess confirmed that they were introduced to Mr Lipman and Ethic by friends.
The Archewell website linked to the announcement, adding: “When we invest in each other we change the world…’
“We believe it’s time for more people to have a seat at the table when decisions are made that impact everyone.
“We want to rethink the nature of investing to help solve the global issues we all face.”
- Queen reportedly shut down Meghan and Harry's latest request for independence: They 'were told 'no''
- Who is Meghan Markle’s mother Doria Ragland, where does she come from and who designed her Royal Wedding outfit?
- The Duchess of Sussex, A.K.A. Meghan Markle’s Past Is Nothing to Be Ashamed Of. So, Why Is it Being Treated as Such?
- 21 Things To Know Before Going To Harry Potter World
- ‘No-deal Brexit talk has hit home hard’ – two experts debate the data
- Toxic shock: how the banking industry created a global crisis
- Experts advise against sharp depreciation of Vietnam dong
- Vietnamese banks entice foreign investors
- Who is ‘Plain Jane Superbrain’ Harris in Neighbours, when did Annie Jones play her and why’s she returning to Ramsay Street?
- With the Apple Card, Goldman Sachs is getting deeper into the subprime lending business
- Meghan Markle's half-brother arrested for DUI after inviting her to his wedding: Details
- Network reportedly offering to donate millions in Meghan Markle's name if she returns to 'Suits'
- Royal baby countdown! Meghan Markle reveals when she's due to give birth
- Meghan Markle's best friends slam 'global bullying' of duchess in rare, candid interview
- Duchess Meghan and Prince Charles shared a friendly laugh at royals' latest outing: Watch!
- Insider reveals who 'calls many of the shots' in Meghan and Harry's marriage
- Meghan Markle movies and TV shows – from Anti-Social to Suits here’s who’s she’s played on screen
- Insiders reveal truth behind Duchess Kate and Meghan's tension: They're 'very different characters'
- Inside the 'argument' between Meghan and Kate before the royal wedding: Who 'left in tears'?
- Meghan Markle 'bothered' by 'public backlash' amid pregnancy
Business expert explains why Harry and Meghan's latest deal with bank is 'a little ironic' have 919 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.