Former US president Bill Clinton has remained in hospital for a fourth night, where he has reportedly been recovering from a urological infection.
The 75-year-old was visited by his wife, Hillary Clinton, at the University of California Irvine Medical Center.
He was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday after suffering from fatigue and has received both IV antibiotics and fluids, his doctors said.
CNN reported that his doctors believe he has a urinary tract infection that has spread to his bloodstream.
It is unclear when he will be released.
On Friday, President Joe Biden said he has been “exchanging calls” about Mr Clinton and added that “he seems to be, God willing, doing well”.
More on Bill Clinton
Mr Biden and Mr Clinton spoke by phone on Friday afternoon, White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre said.
“President Biden and President Clinton look forward to seeing each other again soon,” Ms Jean-Pierre said in a statement. “President Biden wishes President Clinton a speedy recovery.”
Speaking on Friday evening, Mr Clinton’s spokesman Angel Ureña said the former president would remain in hospital overnight “in order to receive further IV antibiotics”.
He added: “All health indicators are trending in the right direction, including his white blood count which has decreased significantly.
“President Clinton continues to be in excellent spirits, and is deeply grateful for the outstanding care he is receiving and the well wishes that people have sent from across America and around the world.”
Mr Clinton has seen several health scares since he left the White House in 2001.
He underwent quadruple bypass surgery after he experienced prolonged chest pains and shortness of breath in 2004.
He also went to hospital for surgery for a partially collapsed lung in 2005. In 2010, he had a pair of stents implanted in a coronary artery.
- Boys stretchered to hospital for treatment as all 12 and coach rescued from Thai cave system
- 'You're really busting my nuts here': Hillary Clinton trolls Trump with parody letter
- Reporter's log: Hospital stands as witness to nations' friendship
- Spirit of Biafra in Nuremburg
- Peek-a-boob! Braless Chloe Ferry comes dangerously close to a nip slip in VERY plunging khaki bodysuit as she parties with Geordie Shore cast during wild night out
- Cigar Hunter: On Bill Clinton’s big night, let’s smoke his big Gurkha
- ET Awards 2019: The superlative C-suite decides winners of ET Awards for Corporate Excellence
- Clements excels in tennis, cross country
- Boris Johnson BEGGED his brother not to quit: Emotional late-night phone call revealed as Jo Johnson deals the PM a body blow by walking out of Cabinet after 'Stalinist purge' of Remainer rebels
- Hospital stands as witness to nations' friendship
- Another victim of Bloodbath Britain: Mother's agony as son, 17, dies after being stabbed three times in chest in Kensington - in 'fourth attempt on his life' - as four teenagers are arrested over his murder
- How Trump took middle America
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Better Medicare Alliance - Diplomat's 'powerful' testimony and 'lynching' attract headlines
- Katy-area calendar of events
- Chilling tales from The Shining’s real-life hotel
- Jonah Hill’s a good sport on a lousy
- Indian shot dead in Kansas bar, shooter yelled 'get out of my country'
- The Hill's Campaign Report: Red-state governors races pose test for Trump
- Heat: the next big inequality issue
- Wounded Houston officers present moment for unity, not division [Editorial]
Bill Clinton remains in hospital for fourth night but 'in excellent spirits' have 591 words, post on news.sky.com at October 16, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.