Victoria Derbyshire has been praised by BBC News viewers after keeping her cool following a rant from presenter Paul Gambaccini.
After criticising Met Police commissioner Cressida Dick, Gambaccini then took aim at Derbyshire, refusing to let her finish a question and asking her: 'What's the point of interviewing me?'
Gambaccini claimed that the 'leadership of the Metropolitan Police is breathtakingly corrupt and non-honest'.
He went on to claim that Dick would not 'alllow' the nation to know the truth about various cases, including the murder of Daniel Morgan.
'Okay, well I mean, the Met would certainly push back on your statement that they cover up-' Derbyshire began, as Gambaccini interrupted: 'Of course they would.'
'Please let me finish, Mr Gambaccini,' Victoria said, as Gambaccini responded: 'Oh no, no, no.
'I'm not going to have this. When I was last on your show, you put up on screen a statement from the CPS without telling me that you were going to do so…'
'May I speak?' Derbyshire asked, as Gambaccini continued: 'What is the point of interviewing me if you're only going to give them airtime? This is ridiculous! All throughout the witch hunt, the BBC was on the side of the wrong-doers. And this will come out by the way. Don't think that were are going to go away. We haven't come for the BBC yet because we're doing the Met now but, in the years to come, boy, the truth about the BBC complicity and the witch hunt will be known.'
Derbyshire went on to ignore Gambaccini's comments about the BBC, asking him a question about the Met Police and Cressida Dick.
After he accused Derbyshire of being 'eager to give the police's point of view', she added: 'I'm not eager to give anybody's point of view. My job, as you know, as a journalist is to reflect the opinions, the statements of people, who are not here to defend themselves when they are being criticised in the way that you have criticised this morning.'
Viewers weighed in after the animated discussion, with some saying they agreed with Gambaccini's anger, and others praising Derbyshire for calmly handling the situation.
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- Celebrity Big Brother’s Jemma Lucy has an epic sweary rant at Paul Danan after he BLANKS her following another row
- Pep Guardiola in extraordinary rant at Southampton’s Nathan Redmond after final whistle
- Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola in extraordinary rant at Southampton’s Nathan Redmond after final whistle
- Dragons’ Den star Tej Lalvani shows off his new barnet on hit show — but stays tight-lipped about secret makeover
- Muslim protester Saffiyah Khan who stood up to EDL in Birmingham says she refused to be intimidated by thugs
- Tesco shelf stacker becomes YouTube superstar making £12million fortune playing computer games
- Ex-BBC producer Fergus Beeley in vile road rage video threatening a citizen’s arrest and branding a mum an ‘old slut’
- Pubs and Clubs Guide: Sheffield, Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster
- Expletive deleted
- Game of Thrones star Nathalie Emmanuel talks love struggles and people asking her to sign pictures of her BOOBS
- £700 for every hour of the marriage ... and Heather Mills is STILL
- An inside look at Jemma Lucy’s colourful relationship history – from Ashley Cole to Stephen Bear
- Martine McCutcheon reveals she posted cheeky nude selfie after a few glasses of wine and a ‘sod it’ moment
- Christmas TV Guide 2017: Channels for Bake Off, Doctor Who, French & Saunders, Call the Midwife and more
- Seeking out Sheffield’s hidden public art
- Black Mirror fans are hunting through Season 4 to find all the Easter eggs that prove it's one shared universe
- James Haskell sees yellow after grabbing England and Lions team-mate Joe Marler by the throat because he was sprayed with water
- Katie Price and Chris Hughes set to come face to face today for first time after public feud
- LIVE REACTION AND RECAP: Sheffield United 2 Leeds United 1
- REACTION AND RECAP: Sheffield United 2 Leeds United 1
Victoria Derbyshire keeps her cool as Paul Gambaccini interrupts her with furious rant have 763 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 9, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.