Two men were shot and killed Saturday on the campus of North Carolina Central University while a college football game was being played nearby.
Durham police said the shooting happened just after 9pm on the surface parking lot next to the university’s Latham Parking Deck.
The two shooting victims were then transported to a hospital where they were pronounced dead. They were not NCCU students, the police and university announced.
More than 5,600 people who were attending the football game were placed on lockdown in the nearby O’Kelly-Riddick Stadium at around 9.30pm, and roads in the area were closed as police looked for the shooter or shooters.
Two men were fatally shot Saturday night on the surface parking lot next to North Carolina Central University’s Latham Parking Deck (pictured)
The shooting occurred as a college football game was being played nearby, and both the stadium and surrounding streets were locked down at around 9.30pm
Many of the game’s attendees had parked their vehicles in the structure (pictured) and neighboring lot, and were not able to get to them until around 11.30pm
WRAL-TV reported that police are searching for a black Nissan Altima with tinted windows and are still working to determine what led up to the shooting.
Charity Raines, who is a freshman at NCCU, said that despite the lockdown, attendees at the game were unaware a shooting had taken place until after the game concluded.
Share this article
‘Everybody was confused but everybody was still focused on the game because we were thinking it was going to be over by the time we leave,’ she told the station.
‘So the game’s over, and we’re still notified that we cannot leave, we cannot exit, all the exits are shut down and campus police notify us that there has been a shooting in the parking deck.’
In total around 5,600 people were attending the game when the shooting took place
NCCU student Charity Raines said game attendees were not notified that a shooting had taken place until after the game concluded
Police officials confirmed that the two shooting victims were not university students
The Latham garage nearby where the shooting took place was where many attendees had parked their vehicles, and fans were not able to access them until around 11.30pm, although people were able to leave the stadium around 10.15pm.
The NCCU department of Police and Public Safety said in a statement that neither of the victims were students at the university. The identities of the victims were not immediately released.
‘Thanks to the well-trained, quick acting NCCU Police Department, no members of the NCCU community or its' guests were impacted by this tragedy,’ the university said in a statement.
The stadium was placed on lockdown just as the game between Winston-Salem State University was about to conclude, CBS 17 reported.
It was the first home game of the year.
‘It’s definitely a first,’ a fan told the station. ‘Never heard of an active police situation while we were at the game.’
- Syracuse hosts North Carolina looking to stop 2-game skid
- No. 23 North Carolina State, Boston College meet in ACC
- South Carolina holds all sorts of treasures for the Gamecocks on college football game days
- College football games, Week 4: Is there any stopping Alabama? Texas A&M takes its swing
- S&P+ spread picks for every Week 11 college football game
- Spread picks for all 78 Week 2 college football games
- College football games, Week 6: Oklahoma's defense could cost Sooners big-time vs. Texas
- College football games, Week 2: Texas A&M's bet on Jimbo Fisher gets tested, plus top storylines
- College football games: Virginia Tech, San Diego State, NC State -- watch live stream, TV on CBS Sports Network
- Road to College Football: Follow one fan’s journey to every FBS stadium
- 76 Years Later, Maryland Tries To Right A College Football Wrong
- Virginia expects tough game vs struggling North Carolina
- North Carolina AD, CTE researcher defend Larry Fedora over controversial comments
- College football Week 2: 1 biggest takeaway for every Top 25 team
- Excuse Kazmeir Allen if he says this college football thing is easy
- College Football Season Start 2018 Start Date, Times, TV Channels: Will Alabama Win Another National Championship?
- Notre Dame looks like a College Football Playoff pretender against Pitt
- Shoes Deals and Double Standards at North Carolina
- Ranking the Best Receiving Corps for 2018 College Football Season
- College Football: No. 6 Michigan Has Road Breakthrough vs. No. 24 Michigan State
Two men fatally shot on North Carolina university campus while college football game with 5,600 attendees was being played nearby have 747 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 19, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.