It's always clearer with hindsight.
There's something in listening to the advice of those who've already been through it, and so we're grateful Thortful.com asked the public to share the things they wish they knew at a younger age.
After a public vote, the wisest messages were picked.
The common themes were self-love, confidence, and worrying less – the things young people typically struggle with.
Deep down, we're all looking for reassuring guidance and comfort from those more experienced.
Some are tough lessons to learn, like: ' Don't believe that everyone who says they care about you has your best interest at heart ,' which made the list.
Experience is the greatest teacher however, and life coach Rebecca Lockwood says: 'The most important thing to remember is that no one has all their stuff together, and so on the outside looking in it may appear that they do, which is why you compare the back end of your life to the shop front of their lives.
'It's so important to check in with yourself and what's important to you, and be guided from within or you may find yourself in a place with no idea how you got there.
'What do you want in life, what is important to you, how do you want your life to look, feel, sound and be like?,' advising that it doesn't need to match anyone else.
These were the top pieces of advice people voted for:
- Believe in your gut reaction.
- Don't get married so young – enjoy life and travel more.
- Don't beat yourself up about every little mistake – everyone makes mistakes.
- Enjoy life and try not to worry too much.
- Invest time in studying!
- Be honest and helpful for all.
- Love yourself as you are loveable and be true to yourself.
- To be less anxious about everything and stop overthinking things.
- Don't put things off until tomorrow.
- Just enjoy yourself and be carefree as long as you can.
- Learn from mistakes.
- Live life to the full.
- Be you all the time.
- Listen to your parents.
- Go into further education.
- Don't worry about what you look like.
- Don't worry so much about what people think of you.
- Don't believe that everyone who says they care about you has your best interest at heart.
- There is no rush, take your time and find out what you want to do.
- Love yourself more and be happy with what you have – life is not a competition.
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing [email protected] .
- The best career advice from this year's graduation speeches
- Younger star Nico Tortorella reveals spouse Bethany had an abortion after getting pregnant with someone else - as the actor shares how the 'painful' experience 'solidified' their bond
- Caroline Flack, 39, breaks silence on cougar lifestyle and refuses to apologise for dating younger men
- Brits travelling to Florida face battle for holiday refunds if they change their minds after Hurricane Michael
- How old is Dua Lipa, how many Brit Awards did she win, what’s her real name and what are the New Rules singer’s biggest songs?
- Film Review: My Life in Ruins
- “Be Your Own Story”: 8 Life Lessons from Literary Commencement Speeches
- Guy Who Gave World’s Worst Graduation Speech Returns To Fox To Give World’s Worst Advice On Life
- Is it safe to travel to Jamaica, what’s the best time to go and what’s the latest travel advice for the Caribbean island?
- Aquaman’s Jason Momoa Got Superhero Advice From Michael Fassbender
- Andrea Bocelli Reflects on His Life in New Biopic 'The Music of Silence' (Q&A)
- Vera Farmiga Gave Her Sister Some Important Advice Before Filming The Nun
- Millennials in the Workplace: Why Travel Needs to Get Younger
- Tusshar: Ekta has given many years of her life to work... Nothing better than coming home to your own baby
- Death & Life on the Nile, Agatha Christie’s Egypt
- Finding Life After the Outdoors' Best Job
- Finding Life After the Best Job in the Outdoors
- Carolina Martinez catches us up on her and Pedro’s life after baseball
- Weston-super-Mare’s stage stars reveal what life is like in ‘tough’ performing industry
- Slippery when wet! The Block's Suzi Taylor, 47, flaunts her incredible figure in busty new modelling photos - after debuting her younger boyfriend
This is the life advice Brits would give their younger selves have 782 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 19, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.