A TERRIFIED surfer screamed “help me” as a Great White shark ripped his arm off in front of panicked beachgoers.
Witnesses told of the horror as the man in his late 20s was fatally mauled by the ferocious beast off Emerald Beach in Coffs Harbour, Australia .
Four ambulance crews and a rescue helicopter rushed to the scene after the man was spotted at 10.45am local time on Sunday.
Horrified onlookers told of the grisly scenes as the man’s arm appeared to have been torn off in the savage shark attack.
“I was out in the surf and I heard screaming,” one witness told the Daily Telegraph Australia .
“I paddled further out to the water and saw a man without an arm, there was lots of blood.
“He was shouting 'help me' – people were trying to get him out to the shore.
“I saw paramedics performing CPR on him for about an hour and a half trying to save them.”
The onlooker said the attack made him nervous about getting back in the water.
Most read in The Sun
He said in his 22 years surfing at the beach he had never seen one as brutal as that.
“I really feel for the dude's family — it's a popular beach. I'll get back in water but not for a while,” he said.
Many people were on the beach celebrating Australia’s Father’s Day when the shark struck.
It is believed the beast that attacked him was a Great White shark .
Locals described the chaotic scenes, with one telling 9News : “I saw a lady run down. Everyone was yelling (to) get out of the water.”
The man lost conscious as he made it back to the sand, and beachgoers attempted to revive him before ambulances arrived.
Paramedics said the victim had suffered “significant injuries” to his arm and back.
There was lots of blood. He was shouting 'help me'.
NSW Ambulance Inspector Chris Wilson, who valiantly battled to save the surfer, fought back tears as he announced his death on TV.
“A male in his approximate late 20s sustained significant injuries to his upper body, which has resulted in major bl — I can’t even say that,” the paramedic stuttered.
“It was a devastating for everybody on the beach this morning.”
Emerald Beach is about 15 minutes north of Coffs Harbour and is popular with surfers.
Shortly after the attack an emergency helicopter lowered a doctor onto the beach as paramedics tried desperately to revive the surfer.
Medics set up a makeshift ICU unit on the sand – but sadly the man could not be saved.
Australia last year saw one of the nation’s deadliest on record in terms of shark attacks – with 18 unprovoked bites, six of which were fatal.
It has been speculated more people staying home due to Covid lockdowns may have driven more people to local beaches, potentially leading to more shark attacks.
Rising sea temperatures have also been speculated to have led to more sharks swimming closer to shore in search of food.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?
- Terrifying footage shows the moment a shark swims UNDERNEATH unsuspecting surfers at Byron Bay
- Surfer, 17, rushed to hospital with horrific bite to his torso after he is mauled by huge shark at Lighthouse Beach in Ballina - as 3.5metre Great White is seen lurking near popular surf spots
- ‘Young Steve Irwin’ park ranger, 23, mauled to death by shark on first week of ‘dream job’
- Australia shark attacks: Would cull work?
- Shark Attack on Kite Surfer Extremely Rare
- Safety On Set: Camera Crew Outnumber Stunt Personnel 4-To-1 In On-Set Deaths
- Joe Biden Is Not Helping
- NHS nurse and mum-of-three is stabbed to death in the street near her home
- Ryan Murphy’s Limited Depictions Of Controversial White Women
- When staying home ISN'T safe: Calls to domestic abuse helplines have risen 25 per cent in weeks — and the stories behind them are horrifying
- Everything Is Teeth by Evie Wyld and Joe Sumner review – a graphic memoir of an obsession
- John Lennon: Long Night’s Journey into Day
- The best PS4 games for April 2020
- Goosebumps Set Visit: Jack Black Talks Monsters & R.L. Stine
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake Boss Guide: Strategies To Beat Every Boss (So Far)
- The 79 Best Pandemic Movies to Binge in Quarantine
- Harvey Weinstein says rape accuser Jessica Mann's graphic testimony about his 'deformed' genitals was 'PERFECT': Disgraced mogul shrugs off her claims he has 'no testicles' and looked 'intersex'
- Profiles of those who died in huge warehouse fire in Oakland
- Comic Book Reviews for This Week: 2/26/2020
- Every horrible monster youll meet in The Evil Within
Terrified surfer screams ‘help me’ as Great White shark rips off his arm and mauls him to death in horrifying attack have 906 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.