ITV September teaser stars Susanna Reid and Holly Willoughby
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Susanna Reid took to Twitter yesterday to share the story of a former ITV colleague who suffered a catastrophic allergic reaction while on holiday in 2014, which changed her life forever. Lindsey Bowers shared the story of her friend Amy Shead online in the hope of raising awareness of nut allergies and collecting funds for her on-going care.
Lindsey posted a tweet earlier this month ahead of her wedding day, asking guests to send donations to the Amy May Trust instead of wedding gifts.
She spoke at length of her best friend and former ITV colleague in a heartbreaking post.
Good Morning Britain host Susanna shared the tweet with her own 830,100 followers and sent her love to Amy and her family, who are still living with the consequences of the incident.
Susanna praised Lindsey for her “generous kindness”.
‘Sending love’ Susanna Reid reacts to former ITV co-star’s health battle (Image: Getty Images)
Susanna Reid took to Twitter yesterday to share the story of a former ITV colleague (Image: Getty Images)
“The wonderful @LindseyCBowers is getting married. But instead of a wedding list she is asking for donations to the @amymaytrust and when you read this thread you will realise why,” the 50-year-old TV star wrote.
“Sending [love] to Amy and her family – and to Lindsey for this act of generous kindness,” she added.
Lindsey’s original post began: “If you've followed me for a while, you might know about Amy. We met almost a decade ago, working at ITV.
“I remember making an inappropriate joke and instantly worrying I’d offended her – but instead she just looked at me and burst out laughing and we’ve been firm friends since.”
Lindsey Bowers with former ITV colleague Amy Shead (Image: Twitter/LindseyCBowers)
Susanna Reid helped highlight the story online (Image: Twitter)
Lindsey Bowers shared the story of her friend Amy Shead online (Image: Twitter/LindseyCBowers)
“Both being bubbly blondes from Essex, Amy and I really hit it off – and got in the habit of occasionally terrorising the celebs we'd find walking around work. (@EamonnHolmes remembers…),” Lindsey’s post continued in the comments section.
She went on to share a string of celebrity encounters that involved Olympian Tom Daly, comedian Russell Brand and Queen guitarist Brian May.
Lindsey said her friend “lit up a room when she walked in” and was “outrageously fun”.
The ITV digital producer then shared further details of the incident which left Amy severely brain-injured; unable to talk, walk or see and wheel-chair bound.
DON’T MISS… Kevin Clifton shares ‘heartbreak’ over girlfriend Stacey Dooley’s post [UPDATE] Amanda Owen’s stepdaughter ‘scarred’ over family break-up [INSIGHT] Simon Rimmer bids farewell to rival after announcing final show [UPDATE]
Susanna Reid on Good Morning Britain this morning with Richard Madeley (Image: ITV)
“But in April 2014 tragedy struck. Through no fault of her own, Amy suffered a catastrophic allergic reaction while on holiday, leading to 19 days in intensive care in Budapest and 11 months in St Thomas's hospital in London.
“Being a fighter, she survived – but life would never be the same.
“An investigation by specialist lawyers concluded that no compensation can be paid to assist Amy as the restaurant responsible failed to hold Public Liability Insurance.
“No medical insurance can be claimed as Amy's condition was lifelong and therefore excluded from her policy.”
Seven years later, her parents rely on donations to get their daughter the therapies and equipment she needs to live life as comfortably as possible.
“A really touching story. Totally moved by it. @lindseyCBowers you're an amazing person for sticking by Amy in such a way,” one follower wrote in the comments section of Susanna’s post.
“What a lovely thing to do, a real true friend,” another added.
“Thank you so much Susanna, your help means the world to us xx,” Lindsey replied.
- Susanna Reid addresses what would have ended her on-air chemistry with Piers Morgan
- Susanna Reid breaks down in tears as heartbreaking message from GMB viewer halts show
- Susanna Reid sends Ben Shephard 'lots of love' after hospital update on his ACL
- Susanna Reid: GMB host talks 'battle' with former co-star Piers Morgan after announcement
- Susanna Reid: GMB host bids farewell to ITV colleague as they announce it's 'time to fly'
- 'That's unfair!' Susanna Reid hits out at Alastair Campbell after attack on Sajid Javid
- Susanna Reid blasted by GMB viewers as they pine for return of Piers Morgan
- Susanna Reid hints at 'game-changer' for Boris Johnson's future amid leak scandal
- 'Lost public consent' Susanna Reid warns Boris Johnson after backlash sparks U-turn
- Susanna Reid has been 'a rock' to Kate Garraway through Derek Draper's Covid hell
- Piers Morgan fans convinced star is returning to GMB after Susanna Reid is quizzed about their relationship
- Richard Madeley addresses claims Dr Hilary Jones and Susanna Reid 'gang up on him' on GMB
- 'Should we lose faith in Oxford vaccine?' Susanna Reid probes MP on South Africa variant
- ‘You don’t want England to win!’ Susanna Reid skewers Alastair Campbell
- Susanna Reid and Piers Morgan's son seen arm-in-arm at Wembley as he brands her a 'queen'
- Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid go head-to-head after GMB exit
- Susanna Reid 'didn't want anyone to hear' her sweary reaction to Piers Morgan joining GMB
- 'I don't want to' Susanna Reid hits out at how it was 'back at BBC' with Bill Turnbull
- Susanna Reid gives update on Ben Shephard’s Good Morning Britain return as he remains in hospital: ‘Sending lots of love’
- Susanna Reid sends love to Ben Shephard as he remains in hospital after injury
'Sending love' Susanna Reid reacts to former ITV co-star's health battle have 1114 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 14, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.