Dan Walker grills Angela Rayner on vaccine passports
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Dan Walker has grilled Angela Rayner on Labour's stance on vulnerable groups getting the booster jab, accusing her of saying exactly what she "criticised the Government for". The shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster attempted to defend her party’s position as she argued that an "informed choice" should be made about getting vaccinated.
Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Ms Rayner said: "Obviously we should follow the science and those that need the vaccine boosters quickly should be first in the queue to get it.
"And that is where the medical need is – they should get that but obviously there are other groups that will not be able to take the vaccine for medical reasons.
"And that’s why we’ve almost also said that the vaccine passport shouldn’t be compulsory.
“Especially in essential services, because some people cannot get the vaccine and therefore testing is an important part of that process as well."
Angela Rayner slams No 10 u-turning (Image: BBC Breakfast)
Dan Walker grills Angela Rayner on vaccine position (Image: BBC Breakfast)
Mr Walker then asked: "Can I just press you on that because, you know, the Government have been criticised a lot by many people and by the Labour Party and by yourself in particular and their defence is often that they follow the science.
"I’m asking you this morning what you would do and you’re just saying, 'we follow the science', which was exactly what you criticise the Government for doing."
Angela Rayner replied: "The government hasn’t always followed the science actually. That’s what the frustration has been.
"We’ve asked to publish that and we’ve asked them to give clear information."
"Say last week, we were told that they were pushing really hard for vaccine passports in large venues and events, and at the weekend they seem to U- turn on that."
She went on: "What we said is that there should be clear communication, and the Welsh Labour government have managed to implement that and they’ve done that very successfully.
"And that’s what we want to see across England- we want to see businesses being able to open safely, but we also want to see a combination of making sure that people can prove that they’ve had the vaccine but also look at free testing so that people can get a test when they need it and prove that they’re COVID Free.”
People getting booster jabs (Image: Getty Images)
Dan walker then asked: “What’s the Labour Party’s view on on vaccinating 12 to 15 year olds?”
Ms Rayner answered: “Well, again, you know, this should be followed by the science you know we do have vaccine for things like the MMR and the vaccines that we have rolled out that.
“People should be given information about that and it is considered that that’s the right thing to do then, you know, young people and their parents should be given the option of taking the vaccine or not, but it shouldn’t be a compulsory.”
- Politician slammed for saying people on benefits should be ‘put down’
- A third of Sure Start children’s centres in England lost, says Labour
- Labour has plenty of potential leadership candidates, says party's elections chief
- Jeremy Corbyn targets Tory seats as Labour goes into attack mode
- Boris Johnson had a hellish week and more challenges await him
- Boris Johnson suffers major defeat in no-deal Brexit vote
- 'Give me an election!' Furious Boris Johnson demands voters get the final say on Brexit crisis after judges rule suspension of Parliament broke the law - but Jeremy Corbyn is set to block the country from going to the polls AGAIN
- Brexit: Crucial day for Boris Johnson and no-deal date — as it happened
- UK lawmakers vote to support plan to stop no-deal Brexit — as it happened
- Ofsted plans overhaul of inspections to look beyond exam results
- My advice for the Labour party
- Jacob Rees-Mogg DARES Remainers to try and bring down Boris Johnson next week and accuses them of being 'scared' of an election as new poll shows PM would win 24 seat majority
- Boris Johnson to expel MPs who block 'no-deal Brexit'
- Brexit: Boris Johnson's brother resigns in 'national interest'
- Opinion: Boris Johnson, the UK dictator
- UK PM Boris Johnson dares opposition to vote no-confidence
- New anti-Semitism shame for Corbyn as he REFUSES to answer questions after Labour becomes only the second party after the BNP to face an official racism probe
- Boris Johnson Urges Tories to Focus on Chequers Rather Than Ousting Theresa May
- Remainer rabble army assembles: Jeremy Corbyn joins anti-Brexit protesters bringing chaos to cities across the UK as they hit out at Boris Johnson's move to suspend Parliament ahead of showdown next week
- Johnson Says Opposition Living in State of ‘Extraordinary Delusion’ as Corbyn Demands Resignation
Saying what Boris is saying! Angela Rayner shamed as Dan Walker dismantles Labour's plan have 1024 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 13, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.