Rose McGowan made a series of shocking statements on Sunday as she appeared alongside California gubernatorial candidate Larry Elder at a press conference.
The actor and activist, who is a leading figure in the #MeToo movement, accused the wife of Elder's opponent, Governor Gavin Newsom, of trying to silence her about movie producer Harvey Weinstein, The Washington Post's Dave Weigel reported.
Two days before the state's recall election, the former Charmed star stated she is longer a 'Hollywood democrat' in which she endorsed Republican attorney and talk-show host Elder as he runs for California Governor.
The outspoken star alleged that's Newsom's wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, had previously tried to bribe her in order to suppress her rape allegations against Harvey Weinstein.
'So this woman, I don't know, some blonde lady name with the last name of the Newsom, cold-calls me, and was like, David Boies wants to know what it would take to make you happy,' McGowan said she was asked by California First Lady during a 2017 phone call, which she says she abruptly ended by hanging up.
Boies, the Democratic super-lawyer that represented Weinstein, reportedly gave Gov. Newsom a $300 bottle of wine, weeks after leading a campaign against Weinstein's accusers, according to the Washington Free Beacon .
At the press conference, McGowan claimed that Elder was the 'the better candidate and the better man' because the Democrat Party was like 'a cult.'
In a statement provided to Insider, a spokesperson for Jennifer Siebel Newsom said McGowan's claim was a 'complete fabrication.'
'It's disappointing but not surprising to see political opponents launch these false attacks just days before the election. Their limited correspondence has been strictly as fellow survivors of sexual assault and in Jennifer's former capacity leading the Representation Project, an organization that fights limiting gender stereotypes and norms,' the statement said.
The spokesperson also noted Jennifer Siebel Newsom came forward with her own allegations about Weinstein in October 2017 in a piece she wrote for Huffpost .
McGowan has been outspoken in her criticism of Democrats since allegations against Weinstein began to emerge. Weinstein was a prominent fundraiser for Democratic politicians.
The Scream acrtress also criticized the Black Lives Matter movement, claiming that race labels were dangerous and 'humanity' should be the focus.
The former Hollywood star stated: 'They want to hear that the more we micro-label each other, the better.
'The reality is, today, I challenge this state, I challenge these voters, I challenge the media, to back up. Be human first, vote for humanity.'
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- Rose McGowan brands Hollywood agents as 'low-key human traffickers' and 'pimps' who profit off putting naked women on screen
- Judge dismisses 43 potential jurors in Harvey Weinstein's rape trial as they admit they cannot be impartial - hours after the mogul was threatened with jail for using his cellphone in court
- Rose McGowan explains why she 'never' truly liked working in Hollywood
- Fox News anchor Ed Henry is accused of 'handcuffing and raping' an employee in a NYC hotel room in bombshell lawsuit - which also accuses Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity of sexual harassment
- Asia Argento Reportedly Paid Off Sexual Assault Accuser
- Coronavirus live updates: California averages a “devastating” 91 deaths a day, Newsom says
- Depp lawyer says Amber Heard lied during tabloid libel case
- Coronavirus live updates: 12 dead, 130 infected in Walnut Creek nursing home outbreak
- Coronavirus live updates: 12 dead, 127 infected in outbreak at Walnut Creek nursing home:
- Coronavirus live updates: 12 dead, 127 infected in Walnut Creek nursing home outbreak
- Coronavirus live updates: California delays start of all high school sports seasons
- Johnny Depp's libel trial ends in London court
- Johnny Depp’s Reps Says Amber Heard Lied as Libel Case Concludes
- Johnny Depp's lawyer says Amber Heard lied during tabloid libel case
- Everywhere and nowhere: The many layers of ‘cancel culture’
- The Women Trump Underestimated Are Coming Back to Bite Him
Rose McGowan accuses Governor Newsom’s wife of trying to bribe her to keep Harvey Weinstein rape allegations quiet have 738 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 13, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.