SINGAPORE: Oil prices dropped on Monday, extending last week’s losses after the U.S. dollar jumped to a three-week high and the U.S. rig count rose, although nearly a quarter of U.S. Gulf of Mexico output stayed offline in the wake of two hurricanes.
Brent crude futures fell 61 cents, or 0.8%, to $74.73 a barrel at 0650 GMT after losing 33 cents on Friday.
U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures fell 66 cents, or 0.9%, to $71.31 a barrel, after declining 64 cents on Friday.
“Strength in the USD over the last couple of days has provided some headwinds to the market,” researchers at ING Bank said in a note on Monday.
Oil fell with the greenback near a three-week high following a rally on Friday on better-than-expected U.S. retail sales data. That bolstered expectations for the U.S. Federal Reserve to begin reducing asset purchases later this year.
“WTI crude may consolidate over the next few trading sessions until the trajectory of the dollar is a little clearer,” OANDA analyst Edward Moya said in a note.
ING said a tapering announcement this week would “likely put some downward pressure on oil and the broader commodities complex,” although it added such a step was more likely in November.
A stronger greenback makes U.S. dollar-priced oil more expensive for holders of other currencies, curtailing demand.
A rise in the U.S. rig count also kept a lid on oil prices. The oil and gas rig count rose by nine to 512 in the week to Sept. 17, its highest since April 2020 and double the level from this time last year, Baker Hughes said on Friday.
By Friday, 23% of U.S. Gulf of Mexico crude output, or 422,078 barrels per day, remained shut, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement said. – Reuters
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Natural Goodness You Can Count On!
- Drilling Rig Jobs - Is Earning $100,000 Per Annum Too Good to Be True?
- Landing a Job in the Oil Gas Profession
- Increase Your Knowledge of the Oil and Gas Industry
- The Gold-To-Oil and Gold-To-Silver Ratios - What Are They Saying?
- Synthetic Motor Oils Are The Right Choice For The Environment
- Attaining a Balanced and Healthy Cholesterol Count
- Entry Level Offshore Job Requirements
- Asian shares cheered by Brexit deal hopes, sterling shines
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Asian shares cheered by Brexit deal hopes, sterling shines
- The Very Few Positive Signs in the Economy
- Maritime Surveillance and Underwater Security Cameras
- Biodiesel Algae Could Be the Next Big Fuel Source
- History of Kerosene Lamps
- The Not-So-Invisible Hand - How The Plunge Protection Team Killed The Free Market
- Sailing and Understanding Sails
- All Is Well In Stepfordville - The Pre-Election Chicanery Of The Plunge Protection Team
- Eco-Gas For Your Business
- History of the Housing Market Collapse - The 1980s
- Soul Food Side Dishes - 3 Most Popular
Oil down on stronger greenback, rising U.S. rig count have 450 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at September 20, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.