LANDOVER, Md. — New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones downplayed what appeared to be a heated discussion with wide receiver Kenny Golladay late in the fourth quarter of Thursday night’s 30-29 loss to the Washington Football Team , saying that Golladay was simply “frustrated.”
Golladay, who had three catches for 38 yards on eight targets, was seen yelling in Jones’ direction near the bench in the closing minutes of the game.
“He was frustrated with the situation,” Jones said afterward. “I don’t think it was to me or anyone in particular.”
Golladay, who signed a massive free-agent contract that included $40 million guaranteed this offseason, has seven catches for 102 yards in his first two games with the Giants. He was not available for comment after the defeat, which dropped the Giants to 0-2 for the fifth straight season.
New York coach Joe Judge said he saw Jones and Golladay “hugging in the locker room” but that he didn’t know anything else about the situation.
Jones said he and Golladay talked in the locker room afterward and that everything was good. The quarterback said he didn’t take it personally.
“I’ll say again: He wasn’t showing me up individually,” Jones said. “So, part of the game. Like I said, he’s emotional, wants to win. We all do. I respect that.”
Part of Golladay’s anger appeared to come from his desire to want the ball more. He had only one target in the fourth quarter on Thursday and was covered tightly on it.
“Yeah, I think that is part of it,” Jones said. “You certainly want the receivers that want the ball. We’ll keep working through it.”
Jones said he didn’t believe he and Golladay would have a problem moving forward. The signal-caller stressed that the two have a strong relationship and that he appreciates Golladay’s passion and the emotion he brings to the table.
Wide receiver Sterling Shepard is close with both players and didn’t make much of the dustup.
“I think you guys have that all mixed up,” Shepard said. “[Golladay] was just heated at the situation. We needed some big plays, and he was heated at the situation. We all love each other. That is what happens in this game when your emotions get into it. You say what you have to say, and you move on. We all love each other, and we dap it up at the end of the day and give each other a hug and keep on pushing.”
Despite being under heavy pressure, Jones played one of the better games of his career on Thursday. He threw for 249 yards and a touchdown and ran for 95 yards and a score. He also had another long touchdown run negated by a penalty.
For the second straight week, it was Shepard, not Golladay, who was Jones’ favorite and most dependable target. Shepard caught nine passes on 10 targets for 94 yards against Washington.
- Detroit Lions' confident WR Kenny Golladay lets his play do talking
- 'The Iceman Cometh' With Nathan Lane Sets New York Dates
- These Are a Few of My Favorite Things: New York Film Festival I
- One World Trade Center: how New York tried to rebuild its soul
- Samsung Expands AI Footprint With New Hub In New York City
- READING (AND LOOKING AT) SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK
- 'Miles Ahead' to close 53rd New York Film Festival
- 'Firing on all cylinders': The CEO of JPMorgan's giant investment bank lauds performance in memo to staff (C)
- Tesla employees describe what it's like to work in the gigantic Gigafactory (TSLA)
- SUNDANCE ANNOUNCES 2010 PREMIERES, SPOTLIGHTS, NEW FRONTIER, MIDNIGHT & NEXT TITLES
- Twitter Finally Axes Alex Jones—Over a Publicity Stunt
- Music is Jones' first love
- 27 Best (And 5 WTF) New Android Games From The Last 2 Weeks (6/24/14
- Technology Giants Didn’t Deserve Public Trust In The First Place
- Soros-Financed New Israel Fund Accused of Stoking Opposition to Israel’s Nation-State Law
- The best new podcasts for the week of August 17, 2019
- Changing ad biz vexes new-, old-media players
- Midterm Meddling: Tech Giants Gather to Discuss ‘Election Protection’ Strategy
- Precious gem: Lee Daniels wins acclaim with drama of abused teen
- 'He Who Must Not Be Named': What Alex Jones and Voldemort Have in Common
New York Giants' Daniel Jones - Kenny Golladay frustrated, but they'll work through it have 690 words, post on abcnews.go.com at September 17, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.