Manchester United have got 'big problems' and still aren't good enough to challenge for the Premier League title.
That's according to Michael Gray, who also slammed the performances of Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Harry Maguire during Saturday's defeat against Aston Villa .
A late Kortney Hause header gave Villa a shock 1-0 win at Old Trafford, but the hosts could've equalised late on, only for Bruno Fernandes to blast a stoppage time penalty over the bar.
United have won four of their first six matches in the Premier League this season, but have now dropped points against Villa and Southampton, who they drew 1-1 with last month.
Former Premier League ace Gray admits he doesn't think United have what it takes to challenge the 'best' in the league, while singling out the two English defenders for criticism.
'This squad, when it's depleted, still isn't up there with the best in the Premier League,' he told TalkSPORT.
'Wan-Bissaka, he's the best defender in the Premier League in a one v one situation, but his distribution with the ball, with the ball at his feet he wouldn't get a game in League Two. When I watch him play, he never looks comfortable with the ball at his feet.
'I don't feel confident at all I don't think he does either. Defensively he's absolutely outstanding, Harry Maguire the ball back to David De Gea yesterday, he makes mistakes, he made one at Newcastle too.
'They've got big problems do Manchester United, I know they've started the season well but I think yesterday the cracks started to appear.'
Speaking earlier this month, former United striker Dimitar Berbatov urged Ole Gunnar Solksjaer to sign another right back in January in order to help push Wan-Bissaka to the next level.
'Right back [they need to improve], in my opinion. I was really happy that they bought a second back, and what a second back [Varane], a serial winner,' Betfair Ambassador, Dimitar Berbatov told Metro.co.uk.
'But a right back to give more push to Wan-Bissaka, to drive that competition and everywhere else is a complete squad.'
For more stories like this, check our sport page .
- Manchester United v Chelsea: 'Specialist in failure', eye-pokes and Mourinho's other best rows
- Three academy stars Manchester United should send out on loan this Summer
- 12pm Man Utd news LIVE: Sancho ‘overweight’ in Dortmund defeat, Ighalo ‘very close’ to agreeing stay, Torres bid
- 'I don't care if it's Alex Ferguson or the Pope' – Keane reignites feud with former United boss
- Mourinho wants five new signings at United
- Keane slams Mourinho for playing Young in defence
- Sergej linked with big money United move
- Man Utd set to miss out on Miralem Pjanic transfer as Juventus star ‘agrees to join Barcelona’ in swap deal with Arthur
- Why NASL’s Minnesota United flew 4,000 miles for 10 days of practice
- Emmerdale and Coronation Street stars 'fear they will be axed from soaps amid the COVID-19 crisis'... as 'phased return' to filming begins in the Dales
- Teen Mom Maci Bookout slammed for insisting son Bentley, 11, cut calories and stick to ‘strict diet’ for wrestling match
- Teen Mom Maci Bookout says she ‘never’ told son Bentley, 11, to ‘cut weight’ as fans slam her for putting him on a diet
- Has Putin met the enemy he CAN'T bully into submission? As Covid-19 runs riot in Russia, its President has lost his aura of invincibility... while three medics who spoke out mysteriously fell from high windows, says historian MICHAEL BURLEIGH
- Man Utd news LIVE: Pogba ‘on verge of Juventus transfer’, Sancho pursuit LATEST, Euro finals ‘in August’
- 8am Man Utd news LIVE: Saul Niguez £70m transfer ‘very close’, club working on another TWO signings, Jadon Sancho latest
- Man Utd put David Brooks and Josh King on transfer wishlist as Bournemouth duo eyed for summer swoops
- Bruno Fernandes arrives at Man Utd training in a Mini as squad split into three groups for separate sessions
- Man Utd news LIVE: Milinkovic-Savic £80m transfer LATEST, Martinez linked, selling Lukaku was ‘a mistake’
- Scholes to Oldham: Alex Ferguson pupils who became teachers
- Man Utd confident of pulling off huge £220m triple transfer swoop for Jadon Sancho, Jack Grealish and Jude Bellingham
Michael Gray slams two Manchester United stars after Aston Villa defeat and outlines ‘big problems’ at Old Trafford have 771 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.