Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were swamped by a group of children today as they visited a school in New York City.
The Duchess and Duke of Sussex met pupils at Jackson School in Harlem in Upper Manhattan.
The Sussexes were pictured walking through the school playground accompanied by two pupils before meeting a group of youngsters.
To promote early literacy, Meghan, 40, read her children’s book The Bench to a group of schoolchildren.
She said: “I wrote this when we just had our little boy, and I haven’t read it to any other kids but you!”
Harry, 37, joined the children on the ground and sat among them while Meghan read the story.
The Duchess also said: “The idea of representation — ‘That looks like me!’ — I wanted everyone to be included in this book.”
A video shared on social media shows the couple being hugged by a group of children at the school.
According to reports, some young girls were so excited to speak to Meghan that they wiped away tears.
The Sussexes were also shown a mural painting by fourth and fifth-grade students, aged nine to eleven.
During the visit, Meghan wore a burgundy suit and pointed-toe shoes, while Harry wore beige trousers and a grey jumper.
They both kept their face masks on during the visit.
The Sussexes also donated two garden boxes filled with vegetables and herbs to support the school’s community efforts and the need for fresh food.
Harry and Meghan arrived in the Big Apple yesterday, visiting a 9/11 memorial along with New York City mayor Bill de Blasio and the state’s governor, Kathy Hochul.
While in New York, they have booked to stay at The Carlyle, known as New York’s "Tower of Power", and have been spotted having a drink at the hotel's bar.
The Carlyle was known to be a favourite of Harry’s mum Princess Diana, who often stayed there when she was in the city.
While in New York, Meghan also gave a brief update on her daughter Lilibet when a reporter asked: “Meghan, how’s Lilibet?”
The Duchess of Sussex replied: “She’s beautiful.”
Another also asked: “How’s Archie?”, to which Meghan gave a big thumbs up.
Meghan’s book The Bench – which is based on the relationship between Harry and Archie – was published on June 8 this year.
The Duchess of Sussex said the book started as a poem she wrote for Harry on Father’s Day, the month after Archie was born, in 2019.
The picture book, published by Random House Children’s Books, has been illustrated by award-winning artist Christian Robinson, and the audiobook is narrated by the Duchess of Sussex.
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry receive 'special award' from UK charity for decision to have no more than 2 kids
- Royal wedding of Meghan Markle, Prince Harry packs Windsor's streets
- Meghan Markle and Harry to bag £75million in 'historic' Netflix deal, expert says
- Meghan Markle and Harry issued warning over bear in Montecito - Archie's chickens at risk
- Meghan Markle and Harry's 'final straw' after Queen and Charles 'swept in'
- Meghan Markle and Harry 'introduced Queen to Lilibet on video call' - ‘They couldn't wait’
- Meghan Markle and Harry ‘considering US move’ and already ‘looking at locations’
- Meghan and Prince Harry's explosive Oprah interview prompts widespread reaction
- Meghan Markle latest news – Royal war triggered ‘when Anne ordered Prince Harry NOT to marry unsuitable Meghan’
- Meghan Markle news latest – Duchess risks popularity IMPLOSION in America ‘after telling Queen where to stick crown’
- Is Meghan Markle still a princess after quitting royal family?
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry urged to 'stay' and stop 'chasing big money' in America
- Meghan Markle more popular with young people 'because she isn't an English aristocrat'
- Meghan Markle accused of 'exaggerating her problems' as Duchess 'pays price' of privilege
- 'It's not classy' Meghan Markle dismissed by Leilani Dowding after attack against royals
- Meghan Markle was 'banned from getting coffee with her mum at Windsor Castle'
- Meghan Markle's father says "they didn't care if I died" after heart attack
- Meghan Markle latest news – Hellish break-up saw Duchess ‘treat her furious ex like filth on the bottom of her shoe’
- Meghan Markle news latest – What Diana would REALLY have thought of Prince Harry’s controversial wife revealed by Fergie
- The penny drops! Insider admits Meghan Markle and Prince Harry REGRET Oprah chat
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry swamped by kids' hugs as Duchess stuns in vivid red coat have 784 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at September 24, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.