Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praises Cristiano Ronaldo
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United have picked a 22-man squad for their opening Champions League match of the season, but five senior players are unavailable for the trip to Switzerland to face Young Boys.
Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has named a strong squad for his opening game of the Champions League campaign.
United open up in Group F against BSC Young Boys, and have taken a strong squad to Bern.
Star summer signing Cristiano Ronaldo is among the number to have travelled, but five first-team squad players are absent, including centre-forward Edinson Cavani.
“Edinson got a knock in training," Solskjaer revealed recently.
"Maybe he'll be [unavailable for] a week or so, he's still working his way up to full fitness from that one. "
Solskjaer has named a strong squad for the fixture (Image: GETTY)
The absence of Cavani will be felt less keenly by United due to the presence of Ronaldo in the squad, who started up top against Newcastle United on Saturday in his first game back at the club.
Cavani was absent for that match with the same training knock, but Ronaldo stepped into his shoes expertly at the spearpoint of the attack, bagging a well taken brace in the 4-1 win.
Ronaldo's last Champions League appearance in a United shirt was the final game of his first spell at the club, a 2-0 loss to Barcelona in the 2009 final.
And the 36-year-old, who is the competition's record scorer with 134 goals in 176 games, is expected to feature in Europe's biggest club competition again on Tuesday.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
Ronaldo is back at Man Utd and scoring already (Image: GETTY)
Joining Cavani in missing the trip to Switzerland is goalkeeper Dean Henderson, who featured in a youth-team game at the weekend as part of his recovery from injury.
The other three players to miss the fixture are Alex Telles, Scott McTominay and Amad.
Amad is not expected to feature for United until October due to injury, while Telles and McTominay have been given more time to get back up to speed after recently returning to first-team training.
DON’T MISS: Tottenham fans fume at post praising Emerson Royal despite horror sh o w West Ham warned ‘ambitious’ Declan Rice may eye transfer amid intere s t Spurs warned Son is a bigger miss than Harry Kane after Palace los s
One player who could feature in Bern is Donny van de Beek, who makes the trip despite making just one limited substitute appearance so far this season.
“Donny is part of the squad, same as everyone else,” Solskjaer said ahead of the game.
“He is fighting to get minutes. It was his first taste of minutes with a crowd (on Saturday). This is Man United, Donny. This is what it feels like.
“He keeps working hard. He is such a professional. Top lad as well. He will get his minutes. Tuesday? Let's see what happens.”
- Man Utd 'eye triple swoop for young England stars'
- Man Utd fans send Solskjaer Lukaku message ahead of PSG clash
- How good Man Utd's surprise Champions League inclusion Williams can become
- Young sends PSG warning ahead of Man Utd Champions League tie
- How to watch Barcelona vs Man Utd in the Champions League
- How Man Utd could line up vs Paris Saint-Germain given injury crisis
- Man Utd predicted line-up vs PSG as Solskjaer makes changes
- What Solskjaer has done to give Man Utd fans hope vs PSG
- Why Luke Shaw will miss Man Utd's second leg at Barcelona
- Ashley Young targeted by racially abusive tweets after Man Utd Euro exit
- Inside the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revolution: How Man Utd got their DNA back
- PSG boss Tuchel sends message to Man Utd ahead of Champions League clash
- Ashley Young reveals how Man Utd can beat PSG
- Berbatov explains what Man Utd must do to bridge gap with PSG
- Darren Fletcher insists McTominay can inspire youngsters after Man Utd heroics
- Arsenal predicted line-up vs Man Utd as Unai Emery prepares to make changes
- Man Utd players reveal all about their team mates' worst travel habits
- Man Utd players 'certain' Solskjaer will land permanent job
- Man Utd player ratings and analysis
- Man Utd squad latest as Solskjaer hit by defensive crisis
Man Utd confirm 22-man squad for Young Boys Champions League clash as five players missing have 960 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 13, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.