Royal Wedding: Experts discuss Prince William's arrival
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Kate Middleton left the world stunned when she walked down the aisle in Westminster Abbey to meet Prince William at the altar. Their breathtaking wedding ceremony was watched by millions all over the world and has gone down in history since. The couple went on to have a reception at Buckingham Palace, which was hosted by the Queen and despite following many traditions, there were a few things the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge did differently instead of following royal tradition. And it is no surprise, after all, Kate and William's union, in general, is also one that is rather different to that of William's royal predecessors because Kate is technically the first queen consort to marry into the Royal Family without any prior connection to British nobility.
Prince William's early arrival to the church
During the BBC's Royal Wedding: A Day to Remember, Prince William apparently broke tradition just before he said "I do" when he arrived early to the church.
The narrator of the documentary explained: "The early arrival of the groom and his best man was a break from royal tradition, but the princes wanted to mingle with the guests."
Kate Middleton broke royal wedding tradition with her ‘very specific’ wedding cake (Image: GETTY)
Kate’s two dresses (Image: GETTY)
Kate Middleton didn't wear her hair up
Bridal updos are something of royal wedding tradition, but Kate opted for the half-up, half-down look instead.
According to the documentary, William & Kate: The Journey, Kate was encouraged by royal officials to wear her hair up, something she decided against when it came to the big day.
“Royal sources tell me that the royals indicated very strongly to Kate that they would prefer her to wear her hair up for this very special occasion,” Royal Reporter Ashley Pearson commented.
Later, at the evening ceremony, Kate freed her hair and wore it around her shoulders, loose.
Overall, her hair was a minor detail in comparison to Kate's beautiful Alexander McQueen dresses which reportedly cost £310,000.
Pippa as maid of honour (Image: GETTY)
Pippa Middleton was elected as maid of honour
Royal brides usually have young children as bridesmaids, but Kate decided sister Pippa Middleton should take on the role of maid of honour – a role which usually does not exist in royal weddings.
Pippa Middleton wore white
The only person who should be wearing white on a wedding day is the bride.
But in the case of Kate and Prince William's wedding, Kate had selected a white dress for Pippa to wear.
DON’T MISS… Gardening: How often do you water an orchid? [ EXPERT GUIDE] Horoscopes & Love: Aquarius to receive 'interesting news' today [INSIGHT] Weight loss: Woman dropped 4st in 7 months with small change [PICTURES]
William and Harry before the ceremony (Image: GETTY)
Prince William had Prince Harry as his best man
Having a best man at a royal wedding isn't the traditional protocol.
In fact, instead of best men, those who are with the groom on the big day are usually called "supporters".
However, Prince William asked his brother Prince Harry to be there as his best man on one of the most important days of his life.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge kissed twice on the balcony
Kate Middleton and Prince William followed in Princess Diana's and Prince Charles footsteps with a kiss on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
However, instead of one small peck, the newly married couple shared a second romantic kiss.
According to ABC News, the kiss came has a response to the excitable crowds.
They reported: “Responding to chants from the crowd to 'kiss her again', the newlyweds locked lips, and William blushed ever so slightly.”
Kate and William’s cake with baker Fiona (Image: GETTY)
Kate and William had an eight-tiered fruit cake with 900 leaf and floral embellishments.
The baker who designed the the grand centrepiece, Fiona Cairns previously explained how Kate had a "very specific" vision for the cake.
"The theme of the wedding was to be very classical, very imaginative and stylish," Fiona told People.
"Where William and Kate’s cake broke with tradition was that she made it very clear she didn’t want a cake as tall as some of the previous royal wedding cakes."
The cake baker said Kate asked her to use sugar paste, which is a "softer" icing than the more commonly used royal icing.
To add to this, Kate apparently wanted to steer clear of "gold or glitter".
"It wasn’t to have any colour on it all," Fiona added. "It had to reflect the flowers of the four [UK] nations, and it also had to reflect the Picture Gallery at Buckingham Palace, where the cake was going to be, to show some of the architectural detail."
And because of how much work was required to make and design the cake, it is no surprise the bill was around £57,000.
- Kate Middleton’s startling similarities with Rose Hanbury, the long-time pal she wants Prince William to ‘phase out’
- Meghan Markle’s best pal Jessica Mulroney ‘practised Royal Wedding walk for month and promised snapper a Pippa Middleton moment’
- How Meghan Markle's First 100 Days As A Royal Compare To Kate Middleton's
- Meghan Markle And Kate Middleton's Secret Royal Wedding Drama Strained Their Relationship
- OMG Kate Middleton Looks Amazing At The Royal Wedding—3 Weeks After Giving Birth
- Kate Middleton Looks Amazing At The Royal Wedding Just 3 Weeks After Giving Birth
- Meghan Markle’s wedding dress could cost more than $135,000 — and she’ll probably be the one paying for it
- How Prince Harry And Meghan Markle's Kiss Just Broke Royal Tradition
- 56 Photos Of Kate Middleton Before She Became A Duchess
- The Queen's Wedding Gift To Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Sounds Incredible
- Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton all smiles as they arrive at Queen’s Christmas lunch amid rift rumours
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Had a Rare PDA Moment at Princess Eugenie's wedding
- Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Reportedly Told The Royal Family Their Baby News At Princess Eugenie's Wedding
- There's 1 Glaring Difference Between Princess Eugenie, Meghan Markle, And Kate Middleton's Wedding Kisses
- The Glaring Difference Between Princess Eugenie, Meghan Markle, and Kate Middleton's Wedding Kisses
- Katy Perry Said Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress Needed 'One More Fitting'
- 6 subtle hints on a wedding invitation that can tell you how formal the event will be
- Why Meghan Markle Won't Have A Maid Of Honor At The Royal Wedding
- Rumors From Inside The Royal Wedding Party: From Harry And Meghan's First Dance To Prince William's Naughty Speech
- Could Harry Possibly Look Any More Smitten In This New Photo From The Royal Wedding?
Kate Middleton broke royal wedding tradition with her 'very specific' wedding cake have 1313 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.