La Liga ‘lacking star player’ after Messi’s Barcelona exit
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Ronald Koeman’s position as Barcelona manager is hanging by a thread after poor results and signings.
The Dutchman arrived at the Nou Camp in August 2020 after Quique Setien had been dismissed for the 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-final.
And after winning the Copa del Rey in his maiden season, Koeman’s job was looking rosy.
However, a financial catastrophe meant that the majority of Barcelona’s players left, leaving Koeman at sixes and sevens – with results slipping as a result.
But if reports are to be believed his precarious position could be helped by Jose Mourinho, with his Roma side looking to sign forgotten man Philippe Coutinho for a cut-price.
A report by El Naciona l claims that despite £27million (€31.5m) being freed up in wages per annum, there still is a need to sell of more assets.
Ronald Koeman is under intense pressure at Barcelona (Image: GETTY)
And with Roma coming into newfound wealth under owner Dan Friedkin, the report states that their missing piece is a superstar.
Coutinho is apparently one of those options, and Barcelona are aware of Roma’s interest as they look to shun their most-expensive signing.
A deal is wanted by both clubs – Barca desperately need the winger off their books in a bid to save money.
And Roma too would be interested in a deal as they’d take the winger on a much cheaper deal than he is worth.
A deal is of paramount importance to Barcelona – if Coutinho plays in eight more fixtures then the Blaugrana would have to pay £17m to Liverpool.
And fans were dismayed as Coutinho featured in his first La Liga game since December 2020 on Monday night.
But if a deal could be agreed between Roma and Barcelona, not only would they save £17m, they would gain a fee for Coutinho too.
This could save Koeman’s job – with more money to spend in the transfer window and incredulous wages being saved.
Jose Mourinho may come to the aid of Barcelona if he is to sign Coutinho (Image: GETTY)
And of all the people to save the Dutchman’s career, it would be ex-Real Madrid manager Mourinho.
Barcelona came under more fire after only mustering a 1-1 draw against Granada on Monday night.
The result leaves them eighth in the table, albeit with a game in hand.
- Barcelona’s Luis Suárez, Leo Messi and Neymar too good for Juventus
- Rumour Has It: Dortmund prepared to sell Manchester United target Sancho, Barcelona eager to re-sign Fati
- Football Focus: Barca president confident Messi will sign new deal
- Premier League transfers: What does every club need this summer?
- 10pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Fati shock interest, Sancho switch LATEST, Romero set to leave Old Trafford
- 5pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Kingsley Coman loan deal, Jadon Sancho LATEST, Perreira blasts Van Dijk and Milner
- Premier League 2019/20: Best players, managers, goals and more chosen by Sky Sports journalists
- “Normal one” Klopp dazzles on Liverpool unveiling
- Rumour Has It: Man Utd looking at Oblak, Real Madrid want to raise €180m
- Transfer news LIVE: West Ham COMPLETE signing – Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City, Everton LATEST gossip and rumours
- 9am Chelsea transfer news LIVE: Kepa to leave UPDATE, Oblak and Havertz LATEST, Juventus to poach Iling-Junior
- Big Match Focus: Manchester United v Liverpool (Sunday 16:30 BST)
- FMIA: NFL Versus COVID Begins As Camps Open With Careful Optimism
- 'Welcome to Fear City' – the inside story of New York's civil war, 40 years on
- Becoming an American in the Age of Trump
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: March 17
- Coronavirus live updates: Releases drop state prison population below 100,000
- Coronavirus live updates: California exceeds 200 deaths in one day for first time
Jose Mourinho coming to aid of Barcelona with Ronald Koeman under huge pressure have 807 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.