Ukraine’s ambassador to Berlin on Tuesday slammed “questionable historical arguments” made by German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier regarding the Nord Stream 2 pipeline. Andriy Melnyk’s reaction came as officials from Ukraine and many other European countries have grown increasingly frustrated with the German government’s insistence on completing the project and effectively doubling the amount of gas that Germany imports from Russia. In an interview with the German newspaper Rheinische Post, Steinmeier defended the pipeline by saying that fuel sales were ”one of the last bridges between Russia and Europe.” “I believe that burning bridges is not a sign of strength,” Steinmeier said. “For us Germans, there is another dimension,” the president said, noting that June will mark 80 years since the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union. He said 20 million Soviet citizens were killed in World War II. “There have been phases of fruitful partnership, but even more times of terrible bloodshed,” Steinmeier said. Watch video 01:35 Share Work resumes on Nord Stream 2 Send Facebook Twitter reddit EMail Facebook Messenger Web Whatsapp Web Telegram linkedin Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3nwyJ After sanctions uncertainty, work resumes on Nord Stream 2 “This does not justify any wrongdoing in Russian politics today, but we must not lose sight of the bigger… Read full this story
- The Latest: Cleric clarifies comment tying Paris to racism
- Top two goalkeepers in the world featured in US-Germany semifinal
- Borussia Dortmund angered by Rummenigge’s Reus comments
- The Latest: Obama would ‘welcome’ Russian focus on IS
- The Latest: Large police operation under way in Paris suburb
- The Latest: US: Very likely IS directed the Paris attacks
- The Latest: Paris attackers known to American intelligence
- Correction: Ukraine-Boxing Politician story
- Jeopardy for two White House lawyers as impeachment inquiry zeroes in on them over Donald Trump's Ukraine call being rushed on to secret server after Purple Heart officer 'raised concerns'
- Young migrants applauded by fans before Bayern-Augsburg match
Germany's Steinmeier angers Kyiv with his comments on Nord Stream, WWII have 308 words, post on www.dw.com at September 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.