Kate Garraway opens up on Derek's ongoing battle with fatigue
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Good Morning Britain presenter Kate Garraway , 54, has taken to Instagram to reveal that she was "feeling torn" over attending the National Television Awards 2021, which is set to take place tomorrow night. Kate has been invited to attend the star-studded ceremony, as she is nominated for an award for her documentary, Finding Derek.
The ITV film focuses on her husband Derek Draper's battle with coronavirus.
Finding Derek is being considered to win the Authored Documentary gong at this year’s NTAs.
Kate's programme is up for the award alongside Katie Price : Harvey and Me, Marcus Rashford: Feeding Britain's Children, Rob Burrow: My Year With MND and Roman Kemp: Our Silent Emergency.
However, the star said she had been contemplating skipping the event, due to concerns about spending an evening away from her other half and her two children, Darcey, 15, and Billy, 11, "who need me now more than ever".
'Feeling torn' Kate Garraway makes U-turn after planning to skip NTAs amid family concerns (Image: ITV•MIRRORPIX)
Kate Garraway had been contemplating skipping the event (Image: GETTY)
Kate went on to explain that her dilemma was now resolved, telling her one million followers this evening that an emotional exchange with a stranger had changed her mind.
Detailing the reason behind her U-turn, the star wrote: “Have been feeling very torn about asking you to vote for our documentary #FindingDerek 's nomination for @officialntas tomorrow.
"I am very proud of it but felt I shouldn't be asking for more from you.
"I have even wondered if I shouldn't go to such a sparkling event and take time away from the family who need me now more than ever.”
Kate Garraway’s documentary was about her husband’s battle with Covid (Image: GETTY)
Kate Garraway’s life in pictures (Image: EXPRESS)
Kate then revealed how a supportive stranger – whose sister recently died from COVID-19 – caused her to have a change of heart.
She continued: “But a stranger just changed my mind! She was walking past our house & called out "hope you win".
"I thanked her but said didn't think we would as so many good ones in the category & I hadn't been campaigning for votes as others have.
"She looked horrified. ‘But you must’ she said ‘my sister died from Covid damage two weeks ago. Her heart had been ruined by the virus last summer. She watched your documentary and it gave her so much hope.'”
DON’T MISS: Piers Morgan concussed and eye cut as he walked out of Harry’s speech [COMMENT] Demi Rose puts on eye-popping display in tiny bikini [PICS] Ben Shephard offers Tipping Point ‘application form’ to GMB colleague [OPINION]
The mum-of-two went on to share how her conversation with the stranger inspired her to continue to raise awareness for other families struggling with the deadly virus.
She added: "It broke my heart. So now I am asking you to vote please – not for me but to highlight the thousands that have lost lives and livelihoods to covid , and to the thousands more that battle on devastated by it.
“Also for the millions of others who are facing terrible diagnoses of any illness, the tortuous wait for treatment as our NHS strains to cope.
"It would be wonderful if your vote meant they felt less forgotten and helped me to fight on for them. The link is in the bio.”
Kate added poignant snaps from her documentary to the post, including a photo of her and Derek from their wedding day and a picture of her sitting alone on her kitchen floor with a cup of tea.
Derek is still recovering from Covid after battling the virus for a year.
The former political lobbyist is considered to be the longest-surviving COVID-19 patient.
He was previously rushed to hospital in March 2020 after struggling with his breathing, before being placed in a coma.
Kate's husband spent 12 months in hospital before he was allowed to return home by doctors.
However, he still requires round-the-clock care and after the virus damaged his internal organs.
- Charlotte Hawkins applauds ‘brave’ Kate Garraway for GMB interviews on Covid amid Derek Draper’s hospital battle
- Kate Garraway returns to Good Morning Britain amid husband’s coronavirus battle – but faces technical glitches during epic comeback
- Kate Garraway makes a heartbreaking discovery as husband fights for his life
- Kate Garraway feared being ‘consumed with anger’ if she looked for someone to blame after Dominic Cummings testimony
- Kate Garraway leaves GMB guest with head in hands with embarrassing blunder 'Apologies!'
- Kate Garraway thanks Martin and Roman Kemp for visiting her son while Derek Draper was in hospital: ‘You were both very kind to me’
- Kate Garraway's 'seriously unwell' hospital stint 'fast-forwarded' Derek Draper romance
- Kate Garraway halts GMB to thank Laura Tobin for personal gift after stressful 2020
- Taking on the care of Derek Draper at home is the most rewarding – but also the hardest – thing Kate Garraway will ever do
- Inside Kate Garraway's London home after dramatic renovation ahead of Derek's return
- Kate Garraway's incredible journey as Derek Draper may never recover from Covid
- ‘I gave you a chance there Mr Hancock!' Kate Garraway probes minister on easing lockdown
- Kate Garraway says husband Derek has ‘opened his eyes’ as she hopes for his recovery
- Jacqueline Jossa and Kate Garraway's supportive friendship amid Derek's health battle
- Kate Garraway says she feels guilty for having fun while husband remains in ‘minimally conscious’ state
- Ministry of Health orders urgent review of maternal mental health, amid growing concern about women being turned away
- Homeland Security Turns to Defending Statues Amid Questions Over Priorities
- ‘Both think they know what Diana want' Garraway highlights problem for Harry and William
- Royal Family LIVE: Prince Harry 'will feel trauma' in UK return - Duke upset by royal snub
- What Princess Diana Discovered: The Uncomfortable Truth About Joining the Royal Family - E! Online
‘Feeling torn’ Kate Garraway makes U-turn after planning to skip NTAs amid family concerns have 1199 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 8, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.