Danny Drinkwater has described his Chelsea career as a 'shambles' and is looking at 'getting the enjoyment of football back' in his latest loan spell at Reading in the Championship.
The midfielder has made just 23 appearances in all competitions for the Blues, with only 12 of them coming in the Premier League.
He has spent spells on loan at Burnley, Aston Villa , Turkish side Kasimpasa and now Reading, where he is hoping to reignite his career as he is now in the last year of his Chelsea contract and his career appears to be on the line after an extremely difficult time.
'Can I paint a picture? No. It's been a shambles,' Drinkwater told talkSPORT of his Chelsea career. 'It's football, it's never straightforward, it's never simple. I'm just excited for the new challenges.
'I need to [kick-start my career]. I'm more excited about this than I have been for a few years now, especially how my career's panned out.
'Games, getting the enjoyment of football back, then going from there. A few have slid away, I've made mistakes, I've not played.
'I'm in the last year of my contract, so there's more than just football riding on it. I've got other things.'
Now on loan with the Royals until the end of the season, Drinkwater made his Reading debut on 18 September, coming off the bench in a 2-1 win away at Fulham.
'I'm desperate for games,' he said. 'I know my position and I know it's not what I've expected for ten years.
'So I've got to make changes and I'm making the right steps.
'I've just got to keep in contact with the manager, trust each other and trust the team. Hopefully they trust me and we can build on that.'
Reading host Middlesbrough on Saturday with Drinkwater hoping to be involved again as the Royals look to make it three league wins on the spin.
For more stories like this, check our sport page .
- Chelsea plan Ross Barkley talks with Everton in bid to usurp Tottenham
- Theresa May RESIGNS and finally admits defeat after Brexit shambles insisting ‘I’ve done my best’
- Transfer window verdict: how every Premier League club fared in January
- Deadline Day: Who will Premier League clubs sign?
- January transfer window learnings: Man Utd need big impact from Bruno Fernandes and more
- January transfer window grades
- Five high profile free agents still available to sign with Champions League experience
- Lucy Mecklenburgh PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: The star displays her blossoming bump as she is joined by her nearest and dearest for swanky baby shower in London
- Margot Robbie, Zac Efron,
- Transfer Deadline Day countdown: The deals that could still happen
- Britain’s top 100 influencers revealed as gamers and YouTubers rake in millions from armies of followers
- Premier League Hits and Misses: Man Utd struggle again despite Bruno Fernandes promise
- Sundance 2019: Alfre Woodard, Alec Baldwin + Making Of ‘Alien’, Satanists & Roy Cohn Docus Among U.S., World Cinema, NEXT, Midnight & Kids Slates
- Amy Schumer, Ben Platt, Rosie O’Donnell Call Out Studios for Donating to NRA-Backed Politicians (EXCLUSIVE)
- Out of contract in 2019: The combined XI of best possible Free Transfers
- REVEALED - Corbyn's polling day ploy to convince celebs to back his party: Comedian claims leader's social media team asked him to tweet 'Labour' and help 'start a wave' of other luvvies doing the same (and looks like it worked!)
- The 50 best albums of 2016
- FA Cup PIX: Saints hold Spurs with late leveller
- 66 Fascinating Facts About Oprah Winfrey
- Manager at firm that made the Grenfell cladding warned colleagues it was 'dangerous' and 'should have been discontinued a decade ago' six years before tragedy killed 72, inquiry hears
Danny Drinkwater opens up on his ‘shambles’ of a Chelsea career and his future have 726 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 21, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.