There's been a noticeable shift in the world of interiors recently, with minimalism – the Scandinavian and Japanese-inspired decor schemes that favour muted colours, clean lines and understated furniture – on the wane, and a new 'more is more' aesthetic on the rise.
When it comes to candles, ubiquitous white wax, single-wick votives, usually scented and housed in clear glass holders, are no longer the height of sophistication. Instead, style-conscious shoppers are opting for interesting hues and unusual shapes.
"The colourful candle trend has seen a huge rise during the past few months due to the variety of colours and designs that now available, rather than the original white taper candles everyone first thinks of," says Katie Thomas founder of KTM Design.
"From muted pastels to bright colours, straight to twisted, plain or patterned, there is something out there for everyone and every kind of occasion."
Some of these colourful creations are scented. However, most of the time, these candles – such as trendy twisted or 'bubble' shapes – are chosen for their visual appeal.
"The recent trend for unique silhouettes and interesting motifs in colourful designs means that more and more candles are doubling up as small objets d'art," says LuxDeco senior creative buyer, Jessica Harding. "They're perfect centrepieces for dining tables and charming accents for bookcases, coffee tables and mantelpieces."
For maximum impact, neon or pastel candles in bust or torso shapes make great conversation pieces, and can be grouped with vases, flowers or other ornaments in muted tones or contrasting brights.
The eclectic look lends itself well to dining table settings too, Thomas says: "More people are prioritising spending quality time with their friends and family after lockdown, and decorating your table with candles for a casual lunch or an elegant evening meal not only makes the table look complete, but also adds relaxing smells into the space."
She suggests: "When looking to create a statement within your home, adding a bright, striped, tapered candle can add a pop of fun, whilst still being sophisticated."
Alternatively, dot a few around the table: "By adding more than one candle, it creates a focus point onto the table but also still adds simplicity to create a more relaxed feel."
Fairholme Studio Bright Rainbow Taper Candles Set of Eight, £35, Liberty London
Letteroom Twist Shaped Hand Made Double Candle Pink, £29.95, Etsy
Neos CandleStudio David Bust Candle Rose Pink, £48, Wolf & Badger
OutofLineHome Bubble 100% Soy/Vegan Decorative Pillar Candle Green, £8.99, Etsy
Ikea Fortga Scented Candle in Glass, £2.50 each
Yankee Candle Bora Bora Shores Original Large Jar Candle, £24.99
- Sexy corset trend takes over as models rock tops that emphasise curves
- ‘Can’t stop laughing’: Man plunges into muddy water after taking a shortcut, video leaves netizens amused
- Emma Willis says she’s ‘proud’ of son, Ace, 9, as he ‘embraces colour’ in bright pink hat
- 5 Amazing Makeup Tips To Take From Aditi Rao Hydari’s Instagram Feed
- The top 10 favourite lipsticks according to Instagram
- Tech View: Nifty50 eyes 15,300 level as bulls take driver's seat
- Oriflame ONE 5-in-1 Colour Stylist Lipstick: Product Review
- 5 interior design trends that are shaping homes in Singapore
- Iris Law displays her enviable figure in a patterned bikini as she takes a solo walk on the Greek island of Kéa
- Gut health: The colour and consistency of your poo can identify a number of conditions
- The 10 Best (and Worst) Tech Trends of 2018
- The prettiest Instagram-worthy hotel entrances from around the world
- What is the 2020 Challenge? Reese Witherspoon sparks Instagram trend
- Underboob tattoos take off on Instagram in sizzling ink trend that emphasises curves
- Disha Patani is a Happy Summer Child in Her New Instagram Post, Take a Look
- Alia Bhatt Gives a Glimpse of Her Skincare Routine on Instagram; Video to Be Out on YouTube Soon
- Instagram's Shopping Tab is a Win for Small Businesses | Digital Trends
- Kriti Sanon Looks Fresh And Radiant In Her Vibrant Orange Dress; Take A Look At Her Orange Eye Shadow Too!
- This Photo of Fred Durst Will Have You Doing a Double Take - E! Online
- Small Businesses Scramble to Get Online During Coronavirus | Digital Trends
Colourful candles are the maximalist trend taking over Instagram have 688 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at September 21, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.