Colombia’s president Ivan Duque announced on Monday that the country would grant temporary protection status to around one million undocumented migrants from Venezuela. About 950,000 undocumented Venezuelans are expected to benefit from the move. “We’ve published the decision of our country to create a temporary protected status in Colombia that allows us to normalize these migrants in our country,” said Duque. The president made the announcement after a meeting with Filippo Grandi, the UN high commissioner for refugees. The decision to grant temporary status was taken at a meeting between Duque and UN’s Filippo Grandi The migrants will receive a 10-year protection status after which they can apply for a residence visa. “This bold humanitarian gesture serves as an example for the region and the rest of the world,” said Grandi. “It is a life-changing gesture for the 1.7 million displaced Venezuelans who will now benefit from added protection, security and stability while they are away from home.” Access to basic services Under the new status, the migrants will receive basic services such as access to the national health system and COVID-19 vaccination. Those migrants who don’t opt for the protected status will be subject to deportation. The registration process will document… Read full this story
- Warren Buffett’s son helps Colombia kick cocaine curse
- 'Deporting three million was a big mistake': Joe Biden admits for the first time that he regrets expulsions under Obama administration
- Pete Buttigieg Promises Extra Housing — and Extra Migrants
- Nancy Pelosi Accepts Senate’s Migrant Funding Bill, Drops House’s Radical Plan
- CEOs Keep 1 Million Indian Graduates in U.S. Jobs, Legally
- Albuquerque faces looming battle with DOJ over sanctuary policies, crime-fighting grants
- 'Largest turtle that ever existed' weighed more than a tonne and had an eight-foot HORNED shell that it may have used for combat 10 million years ago
- Amy Klobuchar Hides Her Support for Exporting College Graduate Jobs to India
- 300,000 Central American and Haitian Immigrants May Soon Face Deportation
- What marks does Obama's presidency deserve?
Colombia to grant temporary status to one million undocumented migrants from Venezuela have 325 words, post on www.dw.com at September 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.