The Ryder Cup-style event is being played on the same weekend as the golf behemoth and, for the first time since its inception in 2017, is missing Roger Federer Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.
Federer, who helped create the tournament, flew in to add some stardust from the stands and witnessed Europe, who are looking for a fourth consecutive victory, make a fine start against Team World.
Norwegian debutant Ruud took on giant American Reilly Opelka first up and recorded a 6-3 7-6 (4) victory before Italian Berrettini came from a set down to win a tight tussle 6-7 (3) 7-5 10-8 against Felix Auger-Aliassime of Canada.
World number 5 Andrey Rublev made it 3-0 for Team Europe after rallying past Argentina's Diego Schwartzman 4-6 6-3 11-9 over an action-packed hour and 51 minutes.
At the Moselle Open in Metz, top seed Hubert Hurkacz ended the run of Andy Murray with a 7-6 (4) 6-3 triumph.
He next faces 2017 champion Peter Gojowczyk, who saw off American Marcos Giron 3-6 6-1 6-3.
It was a good day for the favourites, with second seed Pablo Carreno Busta defeating teenager Holger Rune 6-4 3-6 6-4, while third seed Gael Monfils reached his first semi-final since February 2020 with a 6-3 6-3 victory over Nikoloz Basilashvili.
Second seed Alexander Bublik is within sight of a first ATP Tour title at the Astana Open.
The Kazakh, a four-time finalist, is the highest-ranked player left and was a 6-3 6-4 winner against Carlos Taberner in the quarter-finals.
He will next face Kwon Soon-woo, who defeated seventh seed Laslo Djere 7-6 (4) 2-6 6-0, while James Duckworth won the all-Australian battle against John Millman 6-4 6-4 and eighth seed Ilya Ivashka defeated Emil Ruusuvuori.
- World Cup 2026: United States, Canada and Mexico Win Bid to Be Host
- 2018 FIFA World Cup: Here’s one reason to watch every team
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Five Youngsters to Watch Out For in Russia
- FIFA 2018 World Cup: 6 Players You Need To Watch Out For
- Japan and Senegal Control World Cup Fates After Draw
- World Cup 2018 contenders: Can Belgium's 'golden generation' finally live up to expectations?
- World Cup 2018: Aleksandar Kolarov scores sensational free-kick as Serbia claim hard-fought win against Costa Rica
- World Cup 2018: England captain Harry Kane sends millions into meltdown as he scores last-minute winner for Three Lions
- World Cup 2018: Five-time champion Brazil beats Mexico 2-0 to progress to the quarter-finals
- Mamoudou Gassama: Spiderman's Paris rescue raises questions about Europe’s treatment of migrants
- Nishino reveals 23-man squad for World Cup
- Colombia through to World Cup knockouts with Senegal win
- 'We Cannot Be Stopped': Merkel's Toughest Adversary in Europe
- X is for xenophilia: A World Cup guide
- Africa: Salah Not Leaving World Cup Early
- Africa: FT World Cup 2018
- Europe, South America dominate en route to World Cup’s knockout phase
- 2018 World Cup round of 16 preview: Mexico must get past powerhouse Brazil
- Your Guide To The CONIFA World Cup, The World Cup For Not-Quite-Countries
- Africa: Egyptian Keeper to Become World Cup's Oldest Player
Casper Ruud and Matteo Berrettini give Team Europe early lead in Laver Cup have 498 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at September 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.