According to TMZ , sources close to Britney say the singer is delighted, not only because Jamie, 69, has filed a petition to officially end the controversial legal arrangement, but also because he has asked for it to be done without another mental evaluation, as per his daughter's strong request at June's explosive hearing.
The sources also told the publication that Britney views her father's filing as a 'total victory', which she credits to public pressure from her fans and the Free Britney movement, as well as pressure from her lawyer, Mathew Rosengart.
However, she has not changed her view on her father's past actions or their relationship and is said to still be 'extremely angry' at him over his position as her conservator since 2008 .
Just weeks after willingly agreeing to step down from his role as her conservator , in charge of the Toxic singer's wellbeing and financial affairs, alongside a bank, Jamie filed to end the conservatorship completely on Tuesday.
The filing read: 'Ms Spears has told this Court that she wants control of her life back without the safety rails of a conservatorship.
'She wants to be able to make decisions regarding her own medical care, deciding when, where and how often to get therapy. She wants to control the money she has made from her career and spend it without supervision or oversight.
'She wants to be able to get married and have a baby, if she so chooses. In short, she wants to live her life as she chooses without the constraints of a conservator or court proceeding.'
Lawyers for Jamie said he had always wanted what was best for his daughter, as the filing added: 'If Ms Spears wants to terminate the conservatorship and believes that she can handle her own life, Mr Spears believes that she should get that chance.'
It also said that Britney, 39, has 'demonstrated a level of independence' such as driving herself around, and called for Jodi Montgomery, the caregiver who oversees Britney's personal affairs, to also be discharged from her role.
At June's hearing, where Britney appeared virtually for the first time, the singer accused her father of 'exploiting my life' and described the conservatorship as 'abusive' .
The emotional star continued: 'A lot has happened since two years ago, the last time I was in court. I don't think I was heard on any level when I came to court last time.
'After I've told the whole world I'm okay, it's a lie. I'm not happy and I can't sleep. I'm depressed. I cry everyday… It's my wish and dream for all of this to end. I want my life back.'
She added: 'I've been in denial. I've been in shock. I am traumatised. I want to end the conservatorship without having to be evaluated. I truly believe this conservatorship is abusive.'
Judge Brenda Penny will now have to approve the move to terminate the arrangement, with the next hearing set to take place at Los Angeles Superior Court on September 29.
Metro.co.uk has contacted Britney's reps for comment.
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- Britney Spears hospitalised after breaking her foot dancing
- Britney's Dad Named Permanent Conservator of Her Affairs
- Britney Spears Has ‘Good Contact’ with Her Sons After Family Drama: ‘She Seems Happier’
- How Britney Spears' Sons Are Coping with Her Illness: 'They Understand' Says Family Source
- Britney Spears Has Every Right to 'Take Time Off for Her Mental Health' as Dad Recovers: Source
- Jamie Lynn Spears Slams Critics Amid Sister Britney's Treatment: Don't 'Come for' the 'Ones I Love'
- Cardi B Shares Supportive Message to Britney Spears: 'I Love You and I Totally Understand'
- Britney Spears Says Sons Are 'Bigger Than Me Now' Amid Kevin Federline's Request for More Child Support
- Britney Spears 'Removed' Her Kids After Son Sean's Alleged Fight with Dad Jamie, Says K-Fed's Lawyer
- Britney Spears Is 'Very Happy' to Be Back Home & Will Spend the 'Weekend with Her Boys:' Source
- ‘Distraught’ Britney Spears now in mental health facility
- Jamie Lynn Spears Shares Throwback Photo with Her Big Sister as Britney Seeks Treatment
- Britney Spears Announces 'Indefinite Work Hiatus' Amid Dad's 'Life-Threatening' Health Scare
- Britney Spears kisses beau Sam Asghari before showing off her yoga poses in new Instagram video
- Britney Spears Is 'Continuing to Focus on Her Family' Amid Dad Jamie's Recovery from Colon Rupture
- Britney Spears Steps Out at Hair Salon in Los Angeles as She Continues Wellness Treatment
- Kevin Federline 'Commends' Ex Britney Spears for Checking Into Wellness Treatment Facility
- Britney Spears Shares Video to 'Stand Up' for Herself Because Things 'Have Gotten Out of Control'
- Britney Spears Takes a Break from Treatment as She Spends Easter with Boyfriend Sam Asghari
- Sam Asghari Praises Britney Spears for Entering Wellness Facility: 'People Should Only Be Inspired'
Britney Spears ‘ecstatic’ over dad Jamie Spears filing to end controversial conservatorship have 930 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 9, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.