Framing Britney Spears: Trailer released for new documentary
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Britney Spears , 39, has been embroiled in a tense legal battle to end her 13-year conservatorship which was, up until recently, controlled by her father Jamie Spears. Since he stepped down as the head of the court order last month, Jamie has now filed a legal petition to Los Angeles Superior Court to END the controversial conservatorship, which has controlled the affairs of his daughter for over a decade, since it was enacted in 2008.
Britney’s circumstances have changed to such an extent that grounds for establishment of a conservatorship may no longer exist
The shocking turn of events saw him state that his daughter “is entitled” to have a judge “seriously consider” whether the arrangement is required.
The documents add that Britney’s circumstances have changed “to such an extent that grounds for establishment of a conservatorship may no longer exist”.
“She wants to be able to make decisions regarding her own medical care, deciding when, where and how often to get therapy,” they state.
“She wants to control the money she has made from her career and spend it without supervision or oversight.
Britney Spears’ dad Jamie backs his daughter’s calls for conservatorship to END (Image: GETTY)
Britney described her conservatorship as ‘abusive’ (Image: GETTY)
“She wants to be able to get married and have a baby, if she so chooses.”
“In short, she wants to live her life as she chooses without the constraints of a conservator or court proceeding.”
Jamie added that Jodi Montgomery, who also oversees the star’s personal affairs, should also be discharged from her role.
The past few months have been a gruelling wait for the popstar, who has twice addressed the court, describing the conservatorship as "abusive" and strongly calling for her father to be removed from his role.
Jamie’s documents add that Britney’s circumstances have changed (Image: GETTY)
The popstar has been controlled by the court order since 2008 (Image: GETTY)
Most listened to artists (Image: EXPRESS)
Jamie began proceedings to step down as her conservator in August, and had recently come under intense scrutiny as a result of the #FreeBritney campaign.
He had previously been adamant that there were "no grounds whatsoever" to have him removed from the singer's conservatorship,
Now, it appears he has sided with his daughter, arguing in his filing that Britney shouldn't have to undergo any psychological evaluation before her conservatorship ends, something the Toxic singer fought for at her hearing in June.
Britney said in court t he "main reason" she was there was because "I want to end the conservatorship without being evaluated".
DON’T MISS… Miriam Margoyles reprimanded by The Queen for interrupting [LATEST] Gyles Brandreth sparks concern as he displays injuries after fall [HEALTH] Old Grey Whistle Test’s David Hepworth doesn’t want show to be revived [TV NEWS]
The Associated Press reported that the petition states that Jamie acted in Britney's “best interests” throughout the last 15 years of her conservatorship.
“As Mr. Spears has said again and again, all he wants is what is best for his daughter,” it reads.
"If Ms. Spears wants to terminate the conservatorship and believes that she can handle her own life, Mr. Spears believes that she should get that chance."
Britney's current lawyer, Matthew Rosengart, called Jamie's petition a "massive" legal victory and "vindication" for the singer in a statement to the Associated Press .
He added, "It appears that Mr. Spears believes he can try to avoid accountability and justice, including sitting for a sworn deposition and answering other discovery under oath, but as we assess his filing (which was inappropriately sent to the media before it was served on counsel) we will also continue to explore all options."
Britney previously claimed that she was forbidden from having more children, getting married, or taking out her IUD under the conservatorship.
Jamie's lawyers responded in a court filing that he "is simply not involved in any decisions related to Ms. Spears's personal care or medical or reproductive issues".
Following the news, fans took to social media to celebrate this landmark victory for Britney.
- Britney Spears' BF Posts Kiss Montage During Her Mental Health Treatment
- Britney Spears Makes Starbucks Run Over Memorial Day Weekend
- Finding the American Dream in Britney Spears' hometown
- Britney Spears Now Part of 'Free Britney' Movement
- Complete Shithead Leaks Emotional Private Texts from Britney Spears
- Britney Spears Jet Skis in Miami with Boyfriend Sam Asghari
- Britney Spears Actually Not on Board With the Whole Sexy Video Thing
- Britney Spears Puts On a Happy Face During Coffee Run with Sons
- Britney Spears Nuzzles Boyfriend after Coffee Run
- Britney Spears Reunites with Her Kids But Many Unresolved Mental Health Issues
- Britney Spears Began Her Career in Las Vegas Purgatory Last Night
- Britney Spears’ Manager Says She May Never Perform Again
- Britney Spears to Be Released But Her Meds Are Still a Problem
- Judge Orders Mental Health Evaluation for Britney Spears
- Dads, Dating Your Daughter’s Boyfriend Is a
- Jamie Lynn Spears' Baby Daddy Casey Aldridge Arrested for Rx Drugs
- Why Fans Need to Stop the “Free Britney” Campaign
- 'This is abuse': Kylie Jenner is labeled 'vain' and 'creepy' after dressing her 21-month-old daughter Stormi up in an 'inappropriate' replica of her own Met Gala gown
- Real Dads, Real Style: Reader Photos
- Moms vs. Dads: Is the Competition Real?
Britney Spears' dad Jamie 'backs his daughter's calls for conservatorship to END' have 1086 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 8, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.