A British heiress was “murdered for her money” by her broke boyfriend who had claimed it was a sex game gone wrong, a court heard.
Millionaire horse trainer’s daughter Anna Reed, 22, was found dead in a hotel room in Switzerland after lover Marc Schatzle, 32, called paramedics.
A trial in Lugano was told that German-born Schatzle had run up more than £40,000 worth of debts on drink, drugs and designer gear, the Sun reports.
The prosecution alleges he knew Anna, who was said to have threatened to dump him, had “more than £25,000 in her account”.
Anna’s credit card was later found hidden behind a panel in the La Palma Au Lac hotel lift in Muralto.
Other guests told the court they had heard screaming and shouting coming from the couple’s room. A post-mortem examination revealed Anna had been suffocated.
One said: “I heard breaking glass and furniture being pushed noisily around the room.
“There was crying. A voice said: ‘You are killing me’ or ‘you are kidding me’. I wanted to go and say something but thought it was too dangerous.”
Anna had met Schatzle in Thailand in February 2019, two months before she died.
The British heiress was taking a year out from university after finishing and travelled with Schatzle to Vietnam, Singapore and Dubai before heading back to Europe.
Anna is said to have covered most of the costs of their trip and posted snaps on Facebook of their travels.
The court in Switzerland heard Anna spent around £3,000 a month but that figure “jumped considerably” after she met Schatzle.
The accused told the court: “She liked sex clubs such as the Kit Kat in Berlin and drinking – she was British.”
Schatzle, who has the word ‘Warrior’ tattooed over his eyebrow, told police he had had around 400 lovers but in court said he had just had several”.
When quizzed over his sex game gone wrong claim, he said: “I put a towel around her neck and started kissing. But she wanted more so I put my hand on the towel and pushed.”
On the evening of Anna’s death, the couple shared a £100 bottle of champagne over dinner before returning to their hotel.
They were then pictured smiling on the terrace of their penthouse room just hours before Anna’s death.
Anna was given money for her round-the-world trip as a 21st birthday present by her dad Clive, who owns a stud farm worth more than £12 million in Harrogate, North Yorkshire.
Her sudden death caused shock in the close-knit community in Harrogate.
Schatzle denies murder and the trial continues.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .
- On nonunanimous jury issue, Supreme Court sends Jace Crehan murder case to appeals court
- Key Figure In Tiffany Li Murder Case Sentenced For Passport Fraud
- Walker woman's sentence in killing of her convicted molester not excessive, court says
- Slaughter woman accused in fatal poisoning of boyfriend to be held without bail until hearing
- Slaughter woman detained in boyfriend's poisoning death should be released on bail, attorneys say
- Baton Rouge woman accused of poisoning boyfriend is not a 'black widow,' lawyer argues: 'She's not a monster'
- Convicted killer in CarQuest double-murder wants new trial, claims confession coerced by threats
- Judge: Prosecutors can try to link deaths of Louisiana woman's husband, boyfriend at her trial
- Murdered mother-of-four's ex-boyfriend says her killer former husband MUST reveal where her body is buried before he's released from jail
- Innocent Brit's 33 years in jail for murders committed by Pablo Escobar's henchmen
- Lagos Virtual Court Session: Court sentences driver to death by hanging over murder of employer’s mother
- 'I'm innocent': Accused Claremont serial killer's expletive-laden reaction as he was arrested and charged with the murder of three women is revealed for the first time
- Battle over Trump court pick fuels Senate tensions
- Innocent wife of ex-England star Kevin Phillips is arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and held in cells for two days before being freed after 20-year-old man was left critical in stabbing
- Wife awarded £453m of billionaire Russian oil tycoon husband's wealth in a bitter divorce ruling arrives at court to argue she has received 'nothing' from her ex in two years
- The breakdown of a motoring dynasty: Kathleen Ford is an 80-year-old heiress to the £260m Ford family trust fund. Now, in a bombshell court case, her daughters are accusing the lawyer who's become her boyfriend of abusing her, writes TOM LEONARD
- 'You've made a billionaire homeless!' Ex-husband of Formula 1 heiress Petra Ecclestone, 38, James Stunt goes on bizarre tirade after bailiffs repossess his three multi-million pound luxury homes
- Girl, 16, and boyfriend, 19, ‘busted in murder-for-hire plot to kill her stepdad after he caught them in bed’
- Teen, 19, reveals moment she feared Brit gamer ex had ‘hired £4,500 HITMAN to kill her’ after she dumped him
- Dimetrius Pairama murder: Teenager found unfit to stand trial has to wait to learn where she'll be held
Brit heiress 'murdered for her money' by broke boyfriend, court hears have 813 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at September 21, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.